Where'd the brake pedal & the spare tire go???!!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where'd the brake pedal & the spare tire go???!!??

TSTONE

Giddy up!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland County, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I was driving my 93 Friday night and my brake pedal started going to the floor - semi-consistantly?? By the time I got home I was hearing a clinking coming from one of the rear drums, well the problem turned out to be that the cable end broke off and the hardware in that drum collapsed - odd but it does happen. But I live my life by the adage "$h1T happens", which my wife sez works for me cause i'm constantly "F"ing up.

What really confused me though was the whole time i'm fixing the cable, I kept looking at the rear of the wheel well thinking "something doesn't look right here"?, So i get on the creeper and slide under and start looking around.
"Nope this is fine, Nope that looks OK"
"This vehicle is so much easier to work on than my Mustang, It's just so much roomier back here"
"Wait a sec??!!??"
"Hmmmmmm???"
"HONEY - have you seen the Spare???"

So if anyone out there has information on where my spare may hiding please let it know that I miss it and I hope it comes home soon.

And to my spare:
Come on boy - I've got some nice fresh air for ya', if you come home now i'll even throw in a balance and an Armor-All treatment.

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crapola! that thing could kill somebody....can you imagine it dropping of at 65? Hopefully she let go at a light or something.
I have been hearing stories about the spare winch cable breaking before...not good. Dont they have some sort of safety on them? (I dont know I have a BII)

The really sad part is, I think I saw it hitch-hiking bout a week ago.

I've been taking a back (bumpy dirt) road home for a month or so do to construction, and last week I saw that some guy had a crappy looking wheel and tire leaning against his tree (stupid me - I chuckled thinking the moron was trying to sell the POS), I'm might try to figure out which house it was at on my way home. Then again I might not, only cause with my luck - it probably went through his front window and now he's trying to bait me.

As for saftey - the only thing Ford did was to put it in the rear - so as you don't run over it.

What have you done?

Now I'll be paranoid every time I hear a clunk.

does this happen often?

ahahahhahahahahah

That ain't too bad... Last year, I was buzzing down one of our back roads behind a new F-250 Superduty (With the tailgate down even). The road was a real airborner (literally). I'm thinking "Jeepers, that screwball is gonna lose them 2 tires in the back". So I backed off a ways. Sure nuff, here they came after he went airborne. Funny part was, was that they went up in the air and he actually drove out from underneath them. They bounced and rolled and bounded off into the weeds like good little tires on a camping trip. The dude never even stopped or slowed down. I stopped and put them in my Sport, then tried to catch up to the idiot. No luck. By the time I got to the stop sign, he was no where to be found. So here I was with 2 "BRAND NEW" Steeltex AT's on factory aluminum rims. I did the "LOST and FOUND" ad in the local papers. I had a few calls, but they were from people just trying to claim them for themselves. When I asked what they were for (I didn't mention that in the ad, just said 2 new tires on rims), they couldn't tell me, so I would just say "Nice try Moron". So after about a year, I figured "Finders Keepers"...:D

That is an awseome story Lathrop! What an idiot! I would have looked in my rearview mirror every 5 minutes if I had two brand new tires in the back. You deserved to keep them:)

That reminded me

The end connector of the stainless steel brake self adjuster cable broke off on the rear of my 92. The brakes would work fine except when I would lightly brake when I was going slow. This would generally be in a parking lot when I was being polite to let someone out. Then that little piece of metal would jam in the shoe and the rear wheel would lock up with a screeeeech. The people would then look at me like I was some kind of maniac driving and chuck me the finger.

I also saw two wheels fly put of a pickup truck bed when the guy made a sharp turn. These were connected to a motorcycle that flipped over a couple of times and landed in someones yard. The guy did stop. but I figured I didn't want to hang around for this.

Back