Where's the photo cell? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where's the photo cell?

I have a 03 Explorer XLT with the auto-headlamp feature. Instead of having the lights come on when the car thinks that it's dark enough outside, I'd like to just have the headlights on whenever my car is running. If I knew where the photo cell is I could just cover it to fool it into thinking that it is always dark. It seems like this would do it.

Qtn #1 - It my theory true?
Qtn #2 - Where's the darn photo cell?

willyelm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Photo cell is on the backside of the rearview mirror( drivers side on mine)
You could just turn it off also and use the on/off switch

That on/off switch is just SO much trouble though. ...okay, so I'm lazy. I'd just rather not worry about turning my lights on and off.

I've been reading other posting about this same thing and people talk about a little hole next to the slider on the rear view mirror. This must be from the older models. All I have is an on/off button for the auto-dimming mirror.

I don't believe the eye is on the mirror on the '02+. I think its somewhere down where the dash meets the windshield.

On My 03 XLT trac and my sons XLT sport, the cell is on the drivers side back,Did you take a look?Perhapsthe trac and sport are differant from the EX, dunno

There is something that LOOKS like a photo cell on the back of the rear view, but I held my finger over it and the auto lamp never kicked on. The little black bump on the dash, where the little flashing LED is, apparently has the photo cell in it. When I covered that, the lights kicked on. Now, my next trick will be covering the photo cell without covering up that cool LED.

Thanks for your quick replies!

spindlecone said:
On My 03 XLT trac and my sons XLT sport, the cell is on the drivers side back,Did you take a look?Perhapsthe trac and sport are differant from the EX, dunno

Yes, they are different. The only thing attached to the mirror on the '02 4 doors(thats what I meant when I said it) is the thingy for the compass.

Only problem I can see is that your interior light displays will be dim during the day.

Bill Kemp said:
Only problem I can see is that your interior light displays will be dim during the day.

Those were my thoughts too. The worst time is when it's sunny or when the sun is going down and you can't read the clock or other things on the instrument panel. With my stock stereo, sometimes I'd have to put my hand over the display to see what it said.

jsut turn on the lights... are you really that lazy?!

Back