which bulbs for me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which bulbs for me?

I have been reading the posts and it seems everyone has their favorite bulbs (for their headlights)...so here goes.
I would like to replace the headlight and fog light bulbs with the brightest/best lighting that I can without torching my stock harness. I am not overly concerned with colour, just the best lighting I can get (for good value as well, $'s count). I drive highway at night often and would like to be able to see the moose sooner than later!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of folks love the SilverStars by Syvannia. They're about $50 a pair and they're worth it for them. When my PIAA's burn out, that's the one I'll buy.

As for the fogs, I think Hyper Industries make a pair of 893 or 899 rated at 55w instead of the stock 39.5w. So look for that.

i have Noyka lights, cost me 50 bucks (bought at a local shop so more expensive). i'm fairly satisfied with them tho i've seen ones that I like way better.

Originally posted by spotted dogs
I have been reading the posts and it seems everyone has their favorite bulbs (for their headlights)...so here goes.
I would like to replace the headlight and fog light bulbs with the brightest/best lighting that I can without torching my stock harness. I am not overly concerned with colour, just the best lighting I can get (for good value as well, $'s count). I drive highway at night often and would like to be able to see the moose sooner than later!

Beware of bulbs that advertise in terms of temperature. That's an indication of color. Light output is expressed in terms like lumens, candela, etc. For my money, try Sylvania Xtravision. About $12 each at Auto Zone.

Nothing like the Silverstars for the money.

Heres my 2 cents worth.
High power harness at www.suvlights.com $35.00
80/100 watt bulbs at www.midnightmoose.com $14.00
Nothing is going to give you brighter light.
Midnightmoose also has the upgraded bulbs for the fogs.
If you want the whiter (like piaa) bulbs get the Eiko superwhites 80/100 at www.autobulbdepot.com.
You only loose about 5% of the light going to the eiko superwhites. You will still need the harness w/eikos. Not like the really blue "HID like" bulbs that are dimmer than stock.

high power harness

hey how has that high power headlight harness been workin out? Have you had any problems with it? I want more light as well and i just wanted to know if the high power bulbs burn the lenses or anything. Thanks

Bill, did you try using the stock wattage bulbs with the harness before going to the higher wattage bulbs?

rod41185 I have had absolutly no problems with the high power harness. The high power bulbs have caused no problems either.
Aldive, I used PIAA 9007 with and without the harness and there was some difference. If I was to guess, and thats all it is, it, the harness, added about 5 or ten watts. It was not as noticeable as using oem fog light wires and then changing to the piaa harness on the fogs.
Just read something intresting today about light color as rated on the Kelvin scale. A cloudy day is rated higher on the Kelvin scale than is a sunny day. More of the yellow light, that makes us see better, is filtered out by the clouds. So basicly the higher the Kelvin rateing the less your going to see unless you have 300 watt HID system.
I have HID on my 99 Cad STS and the explorer lights light up more of the road.

I first put a pair of PIAA 1500 fog lights in place of the factory fogs and used the factory (oem) wiring for the lights. I wanted them to be on w/parking lights so I had to use the PIAA wiring harness that came w/the lights. That is when I really noticed a difference in the brightness of the lights between useing the oem wire and the harness that came w/the PIAA lights.
After see that I decided to get a harness for the headlights. The difference wasnt as dramatic so I went to the high wattage bulbs. And that made all the difference.

Back