IndianaKenny

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 & 2004 Explorer
Hello Everyone!!!

Long time listener, first time caller.

My son is driving his '04 Explorer home for Thanksgiving. His "door ajar" light is on. I've read the threads about removing the door panels, replacing actuator switches, finding the broken wires in the rubber boot, but I haven't found one telling me the quickest and easiest way to locate WHICH DOOR is causing the problem.

I'm sure there's an easier way to locate the location of the problem door/wire/actuator, before I remove each panel, or boot, only to find the problem on the 3rd or 4th door has been disturbed.

If it helps, the radio used to continue to play until a door opens, but now it shuts off as soon as you shut off the truck.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can do this. with engine running open a door and you will hear a chime. The door that does not cause a chime is the bad one. Check rear hatch also.

That didn't work, but Thanks!!!

While sitting in the running vehicle, we opened one door, closed it, then another door.

I think that since the truck already recognizes one "open" door, it won't send an
additional chime, when any other door is open.

Any other suggestions?

if the radio plays when the car is off it is either the driver or passenger door i believe, i would pull the boot from the drivers door and inspect the wiring for good measure. also you could use a small screwdriver and jiggle it where the switch is

on cold days my drivers side door acts up and i have to fiddle with the mechanism to get the car to turn the electronics off

if the radio plays when the car is off it is either the driver or passenger door i believe, i would pull the boot from the drivers door and inspect the wiring for good measure. also you could use a small screwdriver and jiggle it where the switch is on cold days my drivers side door acts up and i have to fiddle with the mechanism to get the car to turn the electronics off
Great idea, except it's ANY door. If the radio stays on you've found the faulty one. Just to be sure, test all doors.
Accessory delay

With accessory delay, the window switches, audio system and moon roof may be used for up to ten minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position or until any door is opened. (Page 52)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04expog3e.pdf

And don't forget the rear hatch glass. that's the one that fools me everytime.

Mine did that to me about a year after I bought it. It was still under warrantee at the time but I sprayed all the door latches with WD 40 and all was good. Seems like I need to do every 3 or 4 years. Never did figure out which one was causing the problem but it happens so infrequently I never bothered to try and track it down. WD works good because from what I understand its usually moisture in the switch that causes the problem

Back