Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Which exhaust system for '99 SOHC

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by omgyouresexy, October 19, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. omgyouresexy

omgyouresexy New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 Eddie Bauer
    Hey guys. Haven't been on in a while as everything has been working fine, but I recently moved to MA and small pinholes in my exhaust have caused me to fail inspection. Admittedly, it's all pretty rusted out underneath and the mifler back could use replacing, so I wanted to go ahead and get it done. I just need to know what system to get.

I went to Advance and they said because I have the SOHC, my muffler was ~$220 instead of $120. I looked on rockauto.com and all the mufflers they have are ~$70. Obviously, if the $70 ones are fine, I'd rather go with that. Some AP mufflers say "Universal unless used with other AP components", but there seem to be a 700299 part and a 700291 part.

I will probably need to buy the mounts, clamp, and a tailpipe too. Does anyone know which muffler I need? I assume I can buy the cheaper tailpipe and there aren't really multiple choices for the other components. I would just hate to buy the wrong one and have to return it.

Also, in your experience, if the underside if pretty rusted, will I be able to get the current system disassembled without a saw or anything? I got PB blaster and your basic tools. That's about it.

1999 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC, 4-door Eb edition if that matters

Thanks for any help/advice you guys might have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon further inspection, it seems possible that the Advance price they quoted me may have been the muffler AND exhaust pipe. And when he was calling mine a special one, maybe he was referring to the dual in/single out flanged/not flanged one. I'm gonna call them about that, I think. Still gotta figure out which one I need though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't even notice that they had kits. They have the WALKER kit (Part # 17346) that looks like it has the muffler, tail pipe, clamp(s?), and possibly something else. It's hard to tell by the picture. I can look around on the internet for other kits too, but if anyone has any recommendations for kit's they've used, I'd love that.

Last edited: October 19, 2010
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. williecume

williecume Active Member

City, State:
    Arlington, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 xlt & 98 mounti
    i put a magnaflow ($125 i think from the muffler shop) on my sons 98 mountineer. since the orginal muffler was dual in/single out they used a magnaflow muffler that was single in/dual out, but since the magnaflow can be installed backwards and still work like it should i went with it. the truck sounds awesome and seems to have alot of get up and go. but then again, i'm used to driving a 97 explorer 4l ohv with manually transmission and flowmaster single in/dual out. my sons mountineer is 4l sohc auto and it wants to go.

give the magnaflow a thought, i think you will be happy.

p.s. my wife wants me to put a magnaflow on our explorer now.

edit: a muffler shop will let you know if you need more pipe or not. the mountineer got a new muffler and the pipe to the bumper.

Last edited: October 21, 2010