Gofast

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
76 Bronco
I have a 1976 Bronco ( Early model ) with a factory 302. The 2 barrel carb is puking gas on the intake. I could rebuild it or replace it, but I would rather put a 4 barrel carb and intake on instead. I'm looking for low end torque and of course better MPG's for daily driving. I'm thinking 1500 RPM to maybe 3000 RPM for the performance curve. I'll add long tube headers later as money is available. No, I can't afford Fuel Injection.

What combo do you think would work best? Edlebrock dual plane Performer?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Rob

I like the Edelbrock performer for early 302's. As to a carb.........well Holley's seem to have the most tech info for offroad applications available. James T would be a good person to ask as I have seen him post up Carb mods to help with the steep angles encountered offroad.

As to your rpm range ensure that you go with the performer not a performer RPM. The performer will keep your power band down low to work well with the stock heads where as the RPM tends to build more power up high.

Please note I have built a few early stang's for the street, not offroad.
I have helped with a few 350's in truck's as well as street cars and that is the combo I would use on the chevy 350 as well.

Personally I would swap to fuel injection :D

Holley makes a 4b bl carb that is designed for offroading and won't lean out or stall out at up to a 45° angle. They call it the Truck Avenger and them make 'em in 470 cfm, 670 cfm and 770 cfm. For the 302, I'd go with a 670 and meter it back some. Summit Racing carries them for about $410. the 670 cfm # is HLY-0-90670.

As Dreamr said, I'd go with the Edelbrock Performer intake. Works much better off idle than the Performer RPM intake. Add a good offroading cam like a Lunati 90302 (Summit # LUN-90302K) or a Crane 363904 (Summit # CRN-363904) and you should have some good low end grunt.

I've got the Holley Street Avenger carb with a Edelbrock Performer intake on my '66 289 and it works quite well. I started with a Barry Grant carb, then went to a Edelbrock Carb, and finally settled on the Holley. The BG carb had all sorts of problems, so Summit swapped it for the Edelbrock for me. I was never happy with the Edelbrock performance, so I went and bought the Holley, which made a world of difference...

Back