• Register Today It's free!

Which is the best Hitch

smiley1

Reaction score
City, State
central coast, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8 AWD
I am looking at installing a hitch on my 98 V8 AWD. I need to pull my 1968 firebird when we move and on occasion to the race track. I assume class 3 will do just fine as its rated at about 5k lbs.

Anything other than wireing that needs to be done? What kind of hitches do you folks use? I found this hitch that looks nice:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=75083

I am concerned that when I put 31" tires on my X that I will be able to fit a spare under there without the hitch getting in the way.

Thoughts??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you most likely wont be able to get a 31" spare under there with a hitch...my 235 spare is in there supertight agains the hitch and the thing thats suposed to hold the tire, no way i could get a 31" in there.....as for a hitch....class 3 and up are good...reese, drawtight, hidden hitch are all really popualr names...my hitch is a putnam hitch products class 3.....and if you are towing a car...might want to get a break controler to help slow that load down.

Depends on the hitch you select, with respect to the size spare you can fit. A 31" spare tire will fit, no prob, without a hitch. If you get the Hidden Hitch, that mounts under the bumper, I don't think you'll have any problems with a 31" spare tire. If you get a hitch made with straight square tubing, you'll have problems.

Class III should be fine for hauling a '68 F-Bird and trailer. And, yes, seriously consider a brake controller and trailer brakes.

How soon are you looking for a hitch? I might be selling my Hidden Hitch receiver (used twice). I also have a load leveling hitch if you want to keep from dragging the trailer tongue over curbs and speed bumps. PM me if you're interested.

Dave.

I wont be moving until April so Im in no hurry. I might be interested in yours unless we find a more cost effective way to move it. Just let me know when you plan to sell.

Thanks for the info folks.

A hitch is pretty much a hitch... get a Class III hitch that suits your needs the best (looks/compactness/etc) I have a Reese Class III that is pretty bulky but its what came on my truck. Hidden Hitch seem to be nice b/c they tuck under the rear bumper

I've got a U Haul!

Yeah, most any hitch brand will do and class III will be fine too.

F14CRAZY said:
I've got a U Haul!

Yeah, most any hitch brand will do and class III will be fine too.

Just to hijack this thread a bit...after reading your signature, I've concluded that you've never actually driven a BMW :) because if you had, you'd love 'em and want one.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Just to hijack this thread a bit...after reading your signature, I've concluded that you've never actually driven a BMW :) because if you had, you'd love 'em and want one.

Heh. Sounds like he hit an @ss hole Bimmer owner. That would put a bad taste in my mouth too.

BMW's do drive very nice. But when the wife likes the GTP much better (and its faster than most BMW's) why buy one?

On that topic, I hate mustangs. They are good cars but I see them as evil as only to have a nemesis for fun. Yes my wife owned a 68 that we sold for a down on a house. Thats when she got the GTP.

No worries on the hijack.

To end this hijack...I appreciate American engineering :usa:

Back