• Register Today It's free!

Which model year to buy? 07-11

2001ST

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I am getting ready to sell my '01 ST for an 07-11 model. Which year(s) should I consider? I noticed each year a few goodies have been added, but it seems no big mechanical changes. Have I missed anything? I'm leaning towards 08 because of the Sync feature available. I definitely want the v8 so if you know of anything that has changed with that, I would appreciate that sort of info.

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2010 Was the last year for the ST. If you want Sync, you need a Job 2 2008 (2008.5), The initial 2008 MY did not have it. My recommendation is a 2010. The later the better. I do not think much was taken out in the later years and the bugs are definitely less as time goes on.

I have an 07 with no problems that I know of yet, but like tmsoko said, the later the better to get the best features/accessories...also will probably have fewer miles too

I also have an 07, but I was lucky to find my Ltd. with only 35,000 miles on it and for a fantastic price.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any 2nd gen. ST, but as stated above, if you want the newer features, go for the 2010 model.

The reason I went with an older 2nd gen ST was so I could use the money I saved to do the mods I wanted (lift, tires, lighting, etc.). You can always add an aftermarket in-dash mp3, DVD, navigation head unit and still have money left to do the exterior mods that'll make your ST stand out from the rest.

Have fun shopping and good luck with your decision.

Early build 07's do not have a sliding rear window. 09-10 models have a slightly larger rear sway bay, although I think my 08 handles like a sports car compared to the 05 I used to have.

I love my '07 Limited. I picked it up a few months ago....traded in my '05. The '07 only has 27K miles on it....the one I traded had 74K. I love the V8 and the features of the 2nd generation. I would get what ever year you can afford. If you can afford new then by all means, but if you are on a buget then look for something with low miles. Mine was a Certified Pre-Owned thru Ford, so it came with an extened warranty (6/100K) and full bumper to bumper for 3 months/3K miles. I have warranty until November 2013. There are a lot of things to consider.....good luck with your choice.

New does not always equal better but in this case I beleive it holds true. Since they are discontinuing the ST they only make tweaks and add options. I agree if you can afford new get it if not I would go with 08 and above. My 08 adrenalin has sync rear sliding window heated windshield sunroof nav etc. only thing missing is heated seats they didn't have it as an option.

I ended up with a 2007 limited v8 4x4 fully loaded, leather heated seats, power back window, moon-roof, oem navigation, Sirius radio,power pedals,message center,tow package,bed extender, dual climate control, side curtain and seat airbags, factory subwoofer, its had the XLT chrome package I guess being it a limited the mirrors have the chrome mirror caps and the chrome clad wheels thats what the dealer told me ,and I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and only had 26,000 miles and love the color orange frost with pearl clear coat:D also I`m a electrical engineer and plan on add the sync and the newer 2010 navigation so i`m going to some retro fitting :)

I got the 2008 XLT Model in Stone Green Metallic. V6/2WD. It came new with the keyless entry door pad, rear power window and floor mats. I really wish I got the bed cover.

Since Purchase I have added Slightly larger tires, Rain Visors, Factory Splash Guards, Adrenaline headlights, Tinted Fog Lens, All Black Mesh Grille, and a touchscreen audio/visual system with XM and rear view camera.

Older Photo (Cleaned Up)
2nurfyh.jpg

Recent Photo(Dirty)
347zcpe.jpg

Wow! Thanks for sharing mooshin, I too have a Stone Green 08 (actually V6, 2wd as well, but limited) and I've really been wondering how a black grill would look - turns out it looks a lot better than I imagined!

,,,its had the XLT chrome package I guess being it a limited the mirrors have the chrome mirror caps and the chrome clad wheels thats what the dealer told me ,
The XLT did not have a chrome package. The chrome roof rack, mirrors and wheels are all limited features.

The XLT did not have a chrome package. The chrome roof rack, mirrors and wheels are all limited features.

yeah thats what I went from the dealer told me and I do have the orginal window sticker and it does say the limited chrome package go figure:D

I don't like any of that fake chrome. It does not look that great to me.

I don't like any of that fake chrome. It does not look that great to me.

ok I removed my pic so you don`t have to look at it :D

Back