1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Which Oil filter do I need?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by crazymustang79, April 17, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. crazymustang79

crazymustang79 New Member

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Ford Explorer
    I just bought a 99 Explorer Sport with 4.0 SOHC and am wanting to change the oil, but when I looked at the parts store the book showed 2 different ones. One has 22mm thread and the other is 3/4in thread. How do I know which one I need without taking the old one off first?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  4. HJP

HJP New Member

99 Explorer EB 4.0, 95 S6
    My 99 4.0 EB uses the 3/4-16 filter thread. Motorcraft FL1A is the basic, but I would recommend the Fram Ultra XG8A for only a couple bucks more at Walmart. Excellent filtration at 20 microns and good for 15k intervals, the best bang for buck top shelf filter IMO.

5. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    Last edited: April 17, 2016
  6. HJP

HJP New Member

99 Explorer EB 4.0, 95 S6
    BITOG is an excellent resource, I couldn't tell you how many hours I have spent reading about seemingly trivial details on fluids and filters.

I bought a Fram Tough Guard PH8A (basic model, orange can of death) to use for my inline trans filter (as a break in filter to catch whatever was floating around en masse, have since switched to the largest KN HP for fine filtration and additional capacity) when I plumbed an additional aux trans cooler. The PH8A was very light construction compared to the XG8A (Ultra model), which feels very sturdy and robust, on par with the Bosch Distance Plus at half the cost.

7. Tedybear

Tedybear Active Member

City, State:
    Fulton, NY
    1995 Ford Explorer
    Not to cause a huge debate, but FRAM went down hill years ago. I'd stick with Motorcraft for a good basic filter. Or for probably the best? Napa Gold which is a very high standard filter made by WIX.

And the statement to buy them both, and return the one not needed is a good one. Although just looking at the part number of the one installed should tell you exactly what is needed for the part ID. Just stay away from FRAM. (That's on the same level as going to "ValvoScream Instant Oil Change"...their filters are garbage)

S-

8. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    Read the number off the filter that's on there now and cross-reference it at the auto parts store. It might be the metric one (22mm) or the 3/4" one. Ford used both. If you have the owner's manual it should help.

9. chefduane

chefduane Texas Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Plano, TX.
    None: SOLD 9/16
    This-> Mobil-1 Extended Performance Filter #M1-301