• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks for best ride

wmorrisw

Reaction score
City, State
SCHAUMBURG, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EXPLORER SPORT
I have a 1998 4WD 4.0 with 180,000 miles on it. Which shocks do you think would give me the smoothest ride? Also, if you have any other suggestions that would help the ride I would like to hear then too.
The front sway bar link and the sway bar bushing front and rear have been done.
Thanks for all of your opinions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm due for shocks as well and from what I've read it seems the Sensa tracs give the best ride.

I did try Sensatrac and the rids was smooth. My problem was that it was leaning a little too much (for my taste) in sharp turns. I replaced the rears with KYB Gas-A-Just (monotube technology) and that improved sensibly the cornering, while the ride quality remained the same.
I stronly advice to replace the fifth shock too (if you have it on your vehicle) - it helps also with the sway while cornering.

i have kyb's on my '01 EB V8. i'm happy with the ride, but a full frame truck w/leaf springs is never gonna give you a luxury ride no matter what shocks you put on it.

98 shocks

I changed my front and rear shocks this weekend with Monroe's. I put the ones with the coil over helper springs on the rear and am very happy with them. Ride is firm but not harsh and it restored the rear height. Easy install. Keith

I have rancho RS5K's on the front and monroe air shocks on the rear. It is a great combination of ride quality and handling

Still love my Monroe SensaTracs after three years and over 30K.
Very smooth ride, but definitely not a firm performance shock such
as the Bilstein. Monroe/Rancho "Buy 4 for the Price of 3" Rebate thru 10/31

http://www.monroe.com/promotions

I did the shocks. used Monroe SensaTracs. great for the price. also did the rear sway bar links,this really helped.
got them all at Rockauto for $153.00 and a $28 rebate from Monroe.

Thanks for everyones help

Back