Whining noise problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

andrewlcarson

Reaction score
City, State
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
I have had a 95 explorer for about a month now and everything is fixed on it except for this whining sound. It only occurs while driving but when you let off the gas the noise will go away. The whine is more loud at some speeds than others which really throws me off. I have put some transmission fluid along with some sea foam stuff from auto zone for transmissions in to see if that would do anything but of course it did not. I am just wondering if anyone has an idea what wrong or if this has happened to someone else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the same problem, but its when the RPMs are about 1k-1500, over 25mph, let off the gas, its gone. I'm thinking it would have to be something within the engine or trans, because once you let off the gas, its gone, but once you get back on it, it comes back. Soon, I'll be changing both the trans fluid and rear end fluid, rear end will be synthetic, the trans will be the same type of fluid.

Well let me know how things go because the noise to me is getting much worse and I have changed my transmission oil and nothing.

I do believe it is my rear end. Any hope on a fix or am I screwed?

Have the gear oil changed, or do it yourself. Its not too expensive, probably about $50 to have it done at a quick lube. Then you'll know.

You'll want to check if you have traction-lok before changing it though. You need to get your axle code from the sticker in your driver's door jamb.

Alright thanks. Ill get it done and see how it goes.

Back