1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Whining noise??

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Keeter, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Keeter

Keeter New Member

City, State:
      Baxter, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97
      I am getting a whining noise when I drive my 97 4WD. It sounds like it is tire noise but happens while I am on a dirt road too so I know it isn't that. I know it is pretty vague but I can't tell where it is coming from. Also, if I am pulling something and the tire slips it makes a clunk pretty loud like it is trying to engage the rear AWD. It doesn't have this problem in the snow, only in the dirt. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Noise probably bearing or seal related up front. Try jacking the front end, spinning the wheels and see if you hear it. Also, check to make sure your calipers aren't sticking...

As for the clunk... I'm assuming you have it in 4-auto and your rears are slipping. The clunk would probably be your t/f case enaging to send power to the front. If it is a harsh application, it could be your GEM needs to be reprogrammed. Also, may want to check your t/f case fluid level.

4. Keeter

Keeter New Member

City, State:
      Baxter, MN
      '97
      Thanks Lynch. Do you think the transfer case fluid level could be the problem for both of these? Possibly? Hopefully? :rolleyes:

5. Nonoy

Nonoy Active Member

City, State:
      Suffolk, Long Island, NY
      1997 SOH XLT Contoltract
      Somebody posted the same whining noise problem before and it was something about the "pinion" in the transfer case that was causing the whining noise. Try searching for that forum. Good luck!