White spots after washing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White spots after washing

Well washed the new EX for the first time and now I have been left with awful white spots. My mom washed her Fiat a few days ago and the same thing. Not even a clay bar will get most of it off. This is the first time we have had this happen. We are on county water and do not live in a hard water area. I towel dried the EX except the roof. The roof is covered in white spots, most have a harder white ring around the spots.
Any idea what will get this off? I don't want to wax over it and I don't want it to eat my new paint off. What could cause this on county water?

how big are the spots, and what do they feel like if you touch them? last summer i had a careless contractor get stucco all over my truck, and lucky for me it came off in time with no damage. that and did you hand wash it, or take it to a car wash and wand wash it

Slightly rough but not much. I hand washed it at home with zaino carwash. The parts I hand dried had none to minimal spots.

Regardless of source, all water has some mineral content unless it is specifically provided as "DI" water, or de-mineralized. It could also be your soap.

To remove the spots, you can try washing it again and using a chamois to dry it off. If that doesn't work, use a buffer with a little paste wax and that will remove them. Make sure its a good paste wax. These new "liquid instant shine" products look good for a day, then turn to crap and eventually build up so deep you can't see your paint anymore.

Just a suggestion: Don't wash your car in direct sunlight. You want the body/paint cool, not overheated by the sun. If your car "steams" when you wash it, you're doing it wrong.

Back