Whitey turns red build thread! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whitey turns red build thread!

Well, I figured this would be a good single source to document my next project. I've just finished a 10 month race truck build and finally got it out of my garage and parked on the side yard so I can start my exploder next!

So here's the info to make this whole project make a bit of sense...

I picked up this explorer, it's considered a '91.

100_0407.jpg

The catch with it though is it's a mutt... It's actually 4 expos pieced together to build something that runs. List of things wrong with it, no cruise control, no heater, no a/c, turn signals don't work, power windows sorta kinda sometimes work, power locks sorta kinda sometimes work, missing a lot of the smog stuff and won't pass smog here in Nevada, doesn't run right, engine/trans/t-case all leak oil, T-case motor doesn't work, and I'm sure there's some more. I bought it mostly for the parts on it.

What it does have... Cut and turned with 4.5" per side widened beams with uniball pivots, extended radius arms on heim joint pivots, plated and braced beam hangers, real beadlock wheels, full fiberglass front and rear, national leaf springs in the rear with some nice custom shackles, rear axle is a newer 8.8 with discs and 4.56 gears.

For conversation purposes, we'll call him "whitey"... Whitey is an auto trans and pushbutton (non working) T-case with manual hubs.

Now let me introduce you to "Red". Red is also a '91, only he's not been molested and abused and raped and pillaged of parts by multiple previous owners. Red is a 5 speed manual and manual transfercase from the factory! (I prefer manual and it took me over 5 months to find this...) EVERYTHING works on Red and works really really good! I have receipts from the previous owner of a ford crate motor installed by ford dealer with less then 20K on it. I also have receipts for a rebuilt 5 speed trans from the ford dealer with less the 15K on it. Red runs great!!! Only issues are inside, he's missing a center console, the headliner looks like it got in a fight with a lion and the dash is cracking.

Nice thing though, whitey's interior is in great shape and is the same color so it's just a matter of swapping out the parts!

Meet red...

3Ld3M33N25N75J75M9ccfe41e7926fb461e73_zps3f75ef4f.jpg

3E73Jf3N25K15H45Mbccf314eef2d0d4a10ec_zpsf4ff24d2.jpg

So the plan is to take all the fun suspension parts off of whitey and use them to build Red. Along the way I'm adding a few more custom touches and upgrades as well. Is this going to be some long drawn out never finished project? Heck no!!!! I have about 95% of the parts on hand for the entire build and I'm hoping for the entire build to take about 2 months total to finish EVERYTHING wanted with the only exceptions being a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.8 and a front winch. I'm not saying those won't be done in the next 2 months but they aren't a priority and I'm kinda just waiting for a deal I can't pass up type situation before pulling the trigger on one or both.

So, here's the parts I currently have in my possession slated to get put on Red.

• 12" king coilovers for front
  • cut and turned D35 beams, widened 4.5" per side, uniball pivots
  • Extended radius arms with heimed pivots
  • front 3rd memeber with 4.56 gears and powertrax no slip
  • custom machined axles for new wider track width, not cut and sleeved but new custom machined axles
  • 2" stroke hydro bumps for the front end to help for the occasional hard hit.
  • National spring leafs for the rear
  • custom shackles
  • 12" stroke king 3 tube bypass shocks
  • fiberwerx rear panels
  • newer ford 8.8 with discs, 4.56 gears
  • Detriot locker new in the box ready to install in the 8.8

Whitey has the 95+ conversion clip on it. While I like it, it's not what I want, so that whole clip is getting sold. Red will keep the classic front square body lines but I have a set of mcneil 6" fiberglass fenders currently on order. I should see them this week or next supposedly.

Also I'll be upgrading the steering and building a single side swing set steering for red to keep the bumpsteer hopefully somewhat minimal.

Now what am I building? Well, with the list of parts above you can tell it should be a fairly capable ride. My intent is to keep the interior 100% stock. No cage, no cutting, no craziness. Inside is going to get a mild stereo system and cleaned up. Because I'm not going to be tubbing the rear wheel wells tire size will be limited to what I can fit in them. I will be either on 33" or 35" tires mounted on champion beadlocks (different then the KMC beads that are currently on whitey).

My intent when finished is to have a clean fairly different somewhat head turning type daily driver ford explorer. I want a nice all purpose vehicle. Something I can cruise comfortably around town, hold a decent pace in the dirt, pull it into 4lo and go show my jeep friends what's up. It's not being built to haul butt or race around in. I actually own another vehicle that's MUCH more suited for that kind of stuff and actually is purpose built for that. I also am partners in an offroad race truck which this explorer will see chase duties for so why would I go out and jump this thing and beat it thru whoops when I own and have access to better tools for that job. It will be setup to handle the occasional hard hit though as you can tell.

So there's my novel!!! Following posts from here out will be mostly picture oriented to document the build and answer any questions people may have or what not so lets get started...

Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it from a local shop here in Vegas called "McFadden Dale" basically. It's a very specialized local parts place but I think someplace like mcmaster would have it too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#=q0hu8m

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I got it from a local shop here in Vegas called "McFadden Dale" basically. It's a very specialized local parts place but I think someplace like mcmaster would have it too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#=q0hu8m

That place is great, especially for hardware. There's a few locations out here in Orange County.

Thank you.

Steve

That place is great, especially for hardware. There's a few locations out here in Orange County.

Mine is on the opposite side of vegas from me, easily an hour round trip usually yet I'm typically there at minimum once a week if not 3 or 4 times a week! LOL, they almost always have odd crap I need in stock!

By the way... Put on over 900 highway miles and close to 450 dirt miles over the xmas/new years break completely trouble free with the only exception of a fouled plug. Slapped a new one in and ran great. Even over used it as a last resort tow rig at one point! LOL Beverly Hillbillies anybody?

100_2548_zps123e3cd2.jpg

100_2547_zps6ca71d6f.jpg

Picked up some driveway additions to make it so I don't have to 100% rely on the expo anymore...

100_2467_zps40855652.jpg

And I put down a deposit on this and will be picking it up on Monday. '02 with the 7.3L turbo powerstroke. The back is a blank canvas... It's insulated and has inner paneling but empty other then that. Drives great, insane amount of power! Someday I'll build out the rear but my priorities are elsewhere right now. Just happy to finally have a legit tow rig and also a backup ride to work again for if the exploder is dead or I want to put it on stands for mods for a bit...

IMG_20131101_173109215_HDR_zps48018ce9.jpg

Those turbo charged 7.3L have an obscene amount of power.

Nice addition to the fleet ! :thumbsup:

Those turbo charged 7.3L have an obscene amount of power.

Nice addition to the fleet ! :thumbsup:

That's what I'd heard. It was between that and the 24V cummins but I wasn't able to find the cummins in the price range I wanted to spend. It's a dedicated tow rig that will on occasion see some DD duties so it was hard to justify spending too much on something that will sit so much. But we had the cart in front of the horse big time!!! Between a race truck and this new truck I'm building and having no way of moving them, it was becoming a pain and I was feeling guilty borrowing friends trailers and tow rigs. Plus having ONLY the '91 expo as my primary vehicle is fine but I've been dreading the day it's broke or something when I have to get to work. Heck last friday I had to do a front wheel bearing and then turned the key and drove outta state just hoping I was fine. The expo has been great and will continue to be great but having this as a backup is nice piece of mind! Heck, some people are telling me not to be surprised if i find myself DD'ing the van rather then the expo!

And yes, the little bit I test drove it yesterday, if you put your foot down, it flat out goes that's for sure!

Picked up some driveway additions to make it so I don't have to 100% rely on the expo anymore...

100_2467_zps40855652.jpg

And I put down a deposit on this and will be picking it up on Monday. '02 with the 7.3L turbo powerstroke. The back is a blank canvas... It's insulated and has inner paneling but empty other then that. Drives great, insane amount of power! Someday I'll build out the rear but my priorities are elsewhere right now. Just happy to finally have a legit tow rig and also a backup ride to work again for if the exploder is dead or I want to put it on stands for mods for a bit...

IMG_20131101_173109215_HDR_zps48018ce9.jpg

Time to call U-Joint offroad to get the 4x4 conversion kit (http://www.ujointoffroad.com/)

As much as I love my 4x4 van, I would love to buy a newer van and use one of their kits.

~Mark

I'm thinking 2015 or '16 for building out the interior cause I've gotta recover my savings account and finish this F150 build first. But then once the inside is built, 4wd would be something I'd consider. I'd likely lean towards building something myself under it though using junkyard donor parts. Although, just a super quick glance over that page and well... Hmmmm.... Thanks for that link!!!

That's what I'd heard. It was between that and the 24V cummins but I wasn't able to find the cummins in the price range I wanted to spend. It's a dedicated tow rig that will on occasion see some DD duties so it was hard to justify spending too much on something that will sit so much. But we had the cart in front of the horse big time!!! Between a race truck and this new truck I'm building and having no way of moving them, it was becoming a pain and I was feeling guilty borrowing friends trailers and tow rigs. Plus having ONLY the '91 expo as my primary vehicle is fine but I've been dreading the day it's broke or something when I have to get to work. Heck last friday I had to do a front wheel bearing and then turned the key and drove outta state just hoping I was fine. The expo has been great and will continue to be great but having this as a backup is nice piece of mind! Heck, some people are telling me not to be surprised if i find myself DD'ing the van rather then the expo!

And yes, the little bit I test drove it yesterday, if you put your foot down, it flat out goes that's for sure!

That sounds about right not being able to find a Cummins within a reasonable price. Generally speaking... those Dodge guys hold onto their rigs until they have 250k+ miles on them and then still want top dollar.

Regardless the 7.3's should be a perfect additional to the fleet. They have all the power to tow your rigs around, and also would make a solid DD vehicle when the Explorer needs any TLC.

Enjoy the rig!

Darn you Maniak!!! You just had to get me that 4wd van link didn't you!!!! LOL Priorities in order...

Finish F150 build
Build out Van interior for camping/racing duty
deal with any open ended projects house or driveway related
Save for 4wd conversion...

Darn you Maniak!!! You just had to get me that 4wd van link didn't you!!!! LOL Priorities in order...

Finish F150 build
Build out Van interior for camping/racing duty
deal with any open ended projects house or driveway related
Save for 4wd conversion...

You could join the 4x4 van mailing list.. That might help switch your priorities a little :)

~Mark

Still running strong as my daily driver! Need to get it in for a A/C leak and have it converted over to R134 also. May have that done here in the next few weeks before the heat fully kicks in here in Vegas. Still have it out on occasion for play time too!

1973992_10153956837940123_1040296588_o_zps76f5fde2.jpg

1798948_10153956836570123_173019651_o_zps10f4b6b8.jpg

903962_10153956834455123_671781852_o_zpsa789bb08.jpg

1598531_10153956836655123_1406783047_o_zpsa638a099.jpg

1078855_10153956836515123_1048628805_o_zpsed37c3a2.jpg

1276189_10153956838240123_477227353_o_zps34a8fcd0.jpg

1956827_10153956838560123_749169829_o_zps71846f6d.jpg

Had some decent carnage at the Mint 400 on our race truck that's going to sideline it for a bit so I've got it parked and covered and on the trailer in my sideyard which is actually not too bad cause it frees up time for me to get work done on my F150 project!

Back