Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Who Else Is Running Out Of Water?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Robb, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

It has been a rough summer fo Va. Temps have been higher than normal, and rain seems to have just disappeared. So now, it is drought time. Now, when we do get rain, it gets absorbed where we wish it would run off, and runs off where we wish it would get absorbed. In my opinion, authorities have been way to slow to respond to the situation. Basically, it is too late now and the situation is only going to get worse for awhile. People in my area always have the opinion that the mighty James River will always provide enough. Well, the mighty James is looking more like a creek right now. Smaller tributaries and reservoirs are looking even worse.

In Henrico County, we have some mandatory restrictions like:
      -Watering of shrubs or trees, limited to 3 days a week (by address) and a max of 5 gal.
      -No home car washing
      -No filling of pools or fountains
      -Water offered in restaurants only by request
      -And of course a bunch of stupid stuff like washing your house and such

In Orange County Va (about 30 minutes away) they got new restrictions yesterday. They added:
      -Limit of 1 (3minute) shower per person per day
      -No fountain drinks in restaurants
      -A few other little things

I am just starting to worry about how bad this drought can get. It could get a lot rougher than many here are thinking it is.

OK, I'm just rambling, it is a slow morning here at work. Just wondering what the situation is across the US. You guys dealing with droughts? How bad?

Robb

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ok89

ok89 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 Wrangler X
      Drought? Whats that? I'm waiting for it to go more than 2 days without raining here.

4. RON COX

RON COX Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      '91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger
      Lake Mead is about 10' lower than usual and someone was telling me that the boat ramps are out of the water and have been closed. We haven't been restricted like that though. 2 weeks ago we received our first measurable rainfall for the year and I doubt we will get much more rain this year. Scary!

5. Nick C.

Nick C. Active Member

City, State:
      Frederick, MD
      '96 xlt
      about 3 weeks ago here in Frederick we had 36 days of water left. It's rained since but I know better to think it did any good. I'm a little worried myself but the I drive to the county over and theres a landscaping business using a firehose to water grass so apparently someones not too worried.

6. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      This is what's going on in AZ: http://www.arizonarepublic.com/drought/

Even though we are in a MAJOR drought there are no restrictions on private households fore watering, car washing etc.

Our state government is so short sighted it's pathetic.

Last edited: September 18, 2002
    7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Here, new sod can be watered for the first ten days, then falls into the 3 day a week category. I don't think anyone is attempting to put seed down, but who knows.

I have seen hydrents opened by the county and left running. I guess it some flushing procedure or something. I saw on the news that the county HAS to do that and requestied that people stop calling the county and complaining.:p

Robb

8. Mike

Mike Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      i think we are gona have a bad bad bad winter thisyear.... think of 95-96 winter when the northeast had all that snow... and the summer before was just like this year.... hot and dry..

9. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Heh...Robb, ya think it's bad over there. Here in Chapel Hill, NC, any outdoor use of water is BANNED!!!! It's illegal to use water other than fighting fires.

10. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      Pretty much all of Colorado is dead. Or burning.

11. yob_yeknom

yob_yeknom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Glade Hill, Virginia
      '97 XLT & '06 Limited
      VERY dry here... :(

12. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Running out of water?

Both or our wells have been dry since September last year.

For 6 months I used the X to pull our trailer with 210 gallons of water (got water from town every 2 days or so)..

Now our wellshare has a big truck (I get to drive it for the first time tonight) and we get 2000 gallons of water every 2 days (this if for 10 families) from 10 miles away (closest town)

We have been using the big truck (1973 Ford c700) for about 4 months..

As of last week both wells are still dry.. (and we have had 6+" of rain this year so far)..

The wells are 585 feet and 625 feet (give or take a few)..

According to a hydrologist(sp?) we have a 50/50 chance of finding good water by 1000 feet..

it costs $16/foot just to dig the hole..

We are looking at getting a "deep" well.. 2500 feet.. through the bedrock.. but thats $50k+ (even if we divide it among all the people out here that still about $3k a family (very few people can afford that in this economic down turn).

So yes.. places are running out of water..

13. VBVA

VBVA Go Dukes!

City, State:
      Northern Virginia
      '93 XL
      I think God is teasing us. Everyday it seems to get hotter and more humid up here in the mountains. And everyday some nasty thunderheads build up in the valley and not a single drop of rain falls. Back home (VA Beach) it has been raining a lot. Thunderstorms, tropical storms, and just rain! We can't get a drop up here in H-burg! We have restrictions on our water at school. Since Gov. Warner has imposed restrictions on the whole state, President of the University made it damn near impossible to do anything with water. And me, being an RA, has to enforce the 8 minute shower rule. I hate. I just want it to dump buckets for 2 weeks and get this damn drought over with already. And like Mikke said, watch it get really nasty this winter, thats just what we need :eek:

14. donkey boy

donkey boy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Rome, GA
      '01 WJ
      I thought the governor replaced our county restriction with a new one where no watering of the lawn is allowed :confused:

I haven't been watering my lawn in weeks. But what the heck. I anyhow could not put any weedcontrol down this summer because of the drought, and it seams that this darn crapgrass and all sorts of weed survives also without water :frustrate Just the lawn is pretty much gone. [​IMG]