Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

who has a speakerphone setup for their cell phone in their X?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by tbomb, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      i really want to get a speakerphone setup for my cell phone in my truck cuz i cant stand holding the phone while im driving (and when i go to NY, its illegal, and im there almost every week.) i just got a new cell phone, the motorola v60i, and its a really popular phone, so im sure theres a bunch of stuff out there, but what do you guys use? id like some recommendations.

when i first got the phone, i picked up one of those setups that plugs into the cigarette lighter and holds the phone, and when you get a call, it plays it through the radio speakers, and it worked pretty good, but the "ergonomics" were annoying me - the location of the cigarette lighter in 2nd gen explorers is no good for that kind of setup (the gear shifter is in the way when the truck is in DRIVE.)

i know motorola makes one and radio shack makes one too. id like to stay away from the ones that are basically a phone cradle that plugs into the lighter - like i said before, "ergonomics" (is "ergonomics" the right word?..i doubt it.) id rather get one that works well, and get a separate accesory just to hold the phone, like maybe one of those things that attaches to the A/C vents to hold the phone or something; maybe a stand alone phone holder.

thanks all.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      here's an idea...

Attached Files:

4. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      well actually here's the idea... lol in the previous picture my friends cell phone is in the cup holder! it would have been really funny if that had been my "idea"

Attached Files:

5. Flounder

Flounder Owns 10,000 Marbles Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      I just use a headset boom that hooks around your ear. However, Motorola also has a speakerphone setup that works with the v60i (same phone I have by the way). Last idea would be to wire a powerpoint into the little cubby holes in front of the cup holders (you know, that change tray or junk tray thing...) That way you can use the one that plugs into the outlet by the gear shifter and keep it out of your way. Just some suggestions...

6. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      expo50, no offense, but what the hell am i looking at in that pic? looks like its just your cell phone in the ashtray, heh.

adam, the im thinking the motorola one. i dont know much about it, but it seems like i could just mount the main "box" part of it somewhere and then just mount the phone somewhere and hide all the wires. i tried one of those boom headsets and theyre annoying as all hell, especially on that drive from the philly area to PSU - 3.5 hours and i wanted to break the friggen thing in half, heh.

7. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      heh, yeah thats what it looks like. i don't have a hands free kit and don't want one, but whats in there is my cell phone charger home base thingy and it holds the cell phone and charges it with regular electricity from a power inverter. what i was suggesting was that you could put the equipment you need for the hands free kit and the mount that comes with it in your ashtray.

8. jjue

jjue Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Brandon, MS
      '07 Nissan Titan CC LE
      If you go to my webpage, you will find in the '97 Mountaineer section a small picture of my Nokia Car Kit, which is held up with a Pro-Fit "OEM-look" mount. I know that I need to redo this since I accidently deleted the originals and ended up using the thumbnails in its replacement. If the towers on your trip to PA are anything like the towers on the interstates in Mississippi, you will want an installed car kit that has an external antenna. Since you said that the V.60 is pretty popular, Motorola should have a car kit available, especially since Motorola is pretty good about make kits for the flip phones. I actually have the box for my Nokia double-sided taped to the indash since the factory head unit is so thin behind the face.

9. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      I dont think TBomb has that kind of ashtray. I mounted a hands free holder through the tissue box holder slot thing. I'd post some pics but I am on my POS computer because my good one is broken at the moment. :(

10. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Here we go... found some pics from my past posts...
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

11. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      98x24, can you give me some details about how you did that? what parts you used, where you got em, and how you setup everthing up inside the center console? that looks like exactly what im looking for! i REALLY wanna do that setup.

expo50, yeah, i dont have the same ashtray as you. i got the one where the ashtray is just an insert in the small cupholder.

12. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      Trust me tbomb, I feel your pain. I've tried those cigarette lighter jobs and they just don't work. You can hear the other side just fine, but they can't hear you. Plus, in the Lexus the cigarette lighter is in the ashtray, so I have to leave the ashtray open and plug it in. Ugly as hell, which pisses me off because I love the wood console. Plus it blocks the radio buttons. Another thing I've noticed is they produce an audible squeal when the phone is charging. Probably wouldn't notice it in the Explorer, but in the Lexus its annoying as hell because the interior is so quiet. Now my office got us all Sprint service, and Sprint doesnt keep their phones around long enough for anyone to make a handsfree kit, so I've given up and just hold the damn thing.

Since you have the v60i (very nice phone by the way) I really suggest you get the phone kit from Motorola. Its $150, and they charge you like $50 to hook it up. I have an analog handset installed in my Explorer, it fits real well right next to the console on the pass. side, I'm sure the v60 will too. Plus its sleek and unobtrusive. They mount the box on the back of one of the rear seats, they mount the microphone up in the top left corner of the windshield, and you get great reception with the antenna which they up in the corner of one of the rear side windows. I have a customer that has that phone with this setup in his Cadillac DTS. It works great.

Go for it, I'll be jealous trust me

13. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      I just went down to the auto parts store and bought a cigarette lighter plug. Then I mounted it to the piece of plastic that you put your change in. Heres some pics...

Attached Files:

14. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
    15. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      I have an OLD (2 years old) StarTac. I just called my phone place this afternoon because my phone keeps killing the battery and I want to get another one. They said that the V60 is what they have now and they no longer make StarTacs and for $200 I could have one. Damn, thats a lot of money.

If I spent that much on the phone I could probably find one of those good hands free things that Stephen is talking about and install it myself. My friend has one in his J**p and it works really well. I dont usually talk much in the car but its just one of thost things that I would have to have... ya know. :)

16. jjue

jjue Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Brandon, MS
      '07 Nissan Titan CC LE
      Yep, I've been doing the hands free thing in my Mountaineer since I had the old Motorola Microtac 550 flip phone. After that was the Nokia 6120, and I had to change car kits, but since the 7160 and 6120 use the same kit (and most all other accessories as well), I didn't have that hassle when changing phones. However, my friends and family have complimented me on how nice the installation has been and that they hear me well if I can get a signal. The installed car kit is worth every penny, and I don't really talk on my phone all that much.