1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

who has put a 99+ bumper on an older X

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by tbomb, October 1, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      i wanna put a 99+ bumper on my 98, but i have a few questions...

1) will it just bolt right up with the same hardware?

2) will the fog lights hook up the same way? just unplug the old and plug in the new?...or are the fog lights gonna be a PITA?

thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. hornz2000

hornz2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Athens, GA
      1998 Sport
      I put a 99+ bumper on my 98. If you get the bumper already attached with the bumper reinforcement then yes you will only need those two bolts which attach reinforcement to frame. If you have to buy the skirt seperately from the reinforcement you will need to order several screws from FPN or somewhere else. Yes the fog lights just plug into where the old ones were. BTW pics of mine in signature link. If you email Torrie at FPN he will send you a diagram showing every part and # needed for this.

4. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      thanks hornz. the body shop thats fixing my truck from my accident is gonna do the whole thing for me, and paint it to match, i was just doing a lil research so they come back and say, "well, i dont think we can do that."

thanks.

5. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Are you paying more for that, or are they doing it as a "favor" to you?:)

6. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      um, i dont know if i should answer that, heh. the estimate they wrote for me is completely legitimate, theres no lying and NO insurance fraud was committed, but heres the deal. a piece of the rear bumper was pushed into my spare tire, so he put a new spare on the estimate, just because we wont know how badly its damaged until we remove the spare - thats legitimate - thats how body shops write estimates, so as to minimize the 'extras' when they finally do take it all apart. if i dont need a new spare, theres some money to play with. the same goes for my exhaust which is demolished, and i need a new exhaust system anyway, so im going with another catback system, and the demolished exhaust is pushed up against my shock (bilsteins), so there might be some more money to play with, if i dont need new rear shocks, also an alignment, which i already had done on my own since the accident. so it all depends. the estimate was written for the what looks to be damaged, but some of those things might turn out to be OK; then again, we didnt open the rear door for fear that we wouldnt get it closed again, and when he takes it all apart, he might find a few hundred dollars more worth of damage. i might come out of this not paying much for all the extra stuff i want, or i could end up paying a lot for it, in which case, i wouldnt do all of it, but the shop is owned and operated by a family friend and hes gonna hook me up as far as prices go.