Who is disappointed with their EX? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is disappointed with their EX?

Tough tie just throw in my 2cents.. My grandparents also have a 02 ex and have had to get the trans, and rear end both gone thru.... At like 100,000km.... To bad the manual trans is gone...... :( I still like the vehicle, hence me picking up my 93.) good day all!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's her daily driver to work, ~6 miles, and then comes home to the garage. As stated before, it's been meticulously maintained since day 1.

Especially when the grass is a foot long under them. I guess I can see how sitting would hurt since this particular truck only see about 7k miles a year.

Maybe I am just "lucky" but my wife's '04 4x4 has 80k and no issues to this point. We maintain it like crazy and it is garage kept. Still looks great too!! Recent "repair" was to change out the sway bar bushings and end links to tighten backup the ride, and this is the only "repair" in the past 3 years. So far we are very pleased with ours. I had the transmission and differentials flushed @50k. Oil change every 5k.

Maybe I am just "lucky" but my wife's '04 4x4 has 80k and no issues to this point. We maintain it like crazy and it is garage kept. Still looks great too!! Recent "repair" was to change out the sway bar bushings and end links to tighten backup the ride, and this is the only "repair" in the past 3 years. So far we are very pleased with ours. I had the transmission and differentials flushed @50k. Oil change every 5k.

changing the tranny fluid and filter now after another 30k would not be a bad idea either to keep it fresh. after seeing your tenure on these forums, i would imagine you know that lol.

I can say this, I have owned many American made cars and truck over the years and for the last 20 my daily drivers have been strictly a ford. I currently have a 1996 XLT V-6 ohv and a 2004 XLT with a 4.6 and a tow package.

They both have HVAC issues that I have fixed myself. and the '96 has had 2 torq converters in 272k miles. ( one due to a neutral drop, my bad )

I am a little disappointed at the complexity of fixing the HVAC on the '04 and disappointed that it only gets 16 MPG. I Don't know how this stacks up against forgin SUVs because I wont buy one.

But I can say this without any hesitation. I wish they still made the 2nd gen explorer with the ohv ...

It's her daily driver to work, ~6 miles, and then comes home to the garage. As stated before, it's been meticulously maintained since day 1.

If it has been that meticulously maintained all of these issues would not be manifesting all at once...they would have been addressed the moment they popped up. The vast majority of your complains could all be knocked out in one day of work with pretty minimal financial outlay.

The Explorer probably does have a bit higher than average list of issues. You can use this forum to help you resole them easily, and be happy in knowing that you have a relatively reliable, safe, capable vehicle for your grandmother. Or you can continue to whine and complain, which as you can see will not get you anywhere good around here. :salute:

I have never seen a Trailblazer last 100k miles without any issues, and they are absolute crap in an accident. 4Runners are TINY compared to an Explorer when it comes to interior room... you might as well be in an escape, unless you are in a much newer 4Runner. Pathfinders too. Worst still, both of them get the same or worse mileage than an Explorer.

Damn, complaining about maintenance issues on someone else's 10 year old vehicle just because other owners have had some issues with their high mileage Explorers? This thread makes no sense.

But I can say this without any hesitation. I wish they still made the 2nd gen explorer with the ohv ...

They did make the second gen with the OHV.

Just going back through the OP's posts here over the past 2 years as a member, I do understand the frustration that he is describing....however none of the issues are really that detrimental....and not unlike those that are described in the majority of the stickies in this forum or the first few pages of reading here.

With that said, it's hard for me to justify the belief that someone can claim that a vehicle has been meticulously maintained, when they purchased it second hand. Reading back in the OP's posts since he joined this forum, it's apparent that this was not purchased as a new vehicle, rather a used one. So OP....how can you claim that a vehicle has been meticulously maintained since new, when you (or your grandma) weren't the original owners. Furthermore, even though someone is the original owner of a vehicle...how does that justify that it's been maintained well at all? In fact, you have pretty much done all the tooling on this truck instead of a certified mechanic. Even as far as the intake manifold gasket replacement. Kudos to the average shadetree mechanic and their desire to save a few bucks, but it doesn't mean the work was done right. So I'm not sure I would call that 'meticulous maintenance'.

My .02

You're on an Explorer forum where others share their frustrations, but to make a blanket statement that the Explorer is crap and that @ 66k miles you (or should I say your grandma....) are frustrated beyond belief and are prepared to exhume Henry Ford's body from his crypt in order to slap his jaw around a little because of a few fairly minor (and VERY common) issues plague you...is sort of silly.

I'll jump on. Personally I hate my Explorer. I've owned a fair amount of vehicle and they all have problems. Mine is an 05 and have owned it since 07. I keep it maintained well beyond what is expected and have had issues since day one. You name it and it has been worked on or fixed. The latest will be timing chains. I have truely owned some pieces of ****/beaters that held up better. But whatever I fix everything that goes wrong, just seems that everything that breaks is $100 or more. But whatever it's now 8 years old and I expect **** to break and it's paid off.

This is why I love "OLD SCHOOL FORDS " .They built them like tanks . I have a 98 Ranger sport & a 94 Explorer limited . Just maintenance problems really . Nothing man made lasts forever .

They did make the second gen with the OHV.

You are kinda missing my point, I wish they made a 2013 second gen explorer with a OHV. That way I could get one rust free !

It seems odd that you expect to have a car that can last forever when in your own words...

... when I do get to drive it maybe once or twice a month (max), I put the pedal to the metal and let her breathe. haha.

So your saying it may be well maintained. Cool but treating a car poorly will result in part failure, no matter how little you do it.

Everyone knows that infrequent abuse is the same as daily love and meticulous maintenance.

You are kinda missing my point, I wish they made a 2013 second gen explorer with a OHV. That way I could get one rust free !

2013 is a fifth gen, and they come with super reliable duratecs. If you want a rust free first or second gen, we have a state devoted to the preservation of car bodies. It is called Arizona.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 is a fifth gen, and they come with super reliable duratecs. If you want a rust free first or second gen, we have a state devoted to the preservation of car bodies. It is called Arizona.

Some people , you just can't reach...

Back