• Register Today It's free!

Who knows what??

eddiebauer18

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hello, im not usually on this side of town..(stock 02 explorer) but I wanted to get you guys input on lockers that are easy to maintain and that won't set my wallet on fire. I would also like to ask about an exaust system for the V6 and others along the way...Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm doing an Aussie locker on mine. It requires an open diff though. The cheapest option for you since you have a limited slip would be the powertrax no-slip. I hear it's very smooth on the street and great off road.

I would leave the front axle open because of the way the auto 4x4 works.

I understand that, I wanted to do the back for better traction, and I do have the limited slip diff on here. With your aussie, how does it drive on and off road? And would I have to have a switch installed so I could turn it on?
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't speak personally to how the aussie is since I haven't run it yet. Most everyone I've spoken to about it on this forum say you pretty much don't notice it though.

The no-slip is supposed to be even smoother, which is saying a lot given how smooth the aussie is said to be on the street.

These types of lockers are known as lunchbox lockers, meaning that they replace the spider gears in your differential case. They are relatively cheap and easy compared to a full case locker like an arb or detroit because you can install them yourself and you don't have to have your ring and pinion set up again.

You don't turn a lunchbox locker on and off...it's "on" anytime you are giving the vehicle sufficient throttle and traveling straight. In a turn coasting or light throttle it unlocks automatically. So as long as you aren't gunning it through turns you won't have problems from what I am told. If you do try doing that you'll peel out and/or wear out your tires faster. If it's slick out and you try it the back end might slip out from behind you too. So you do have to mind your driving habits a bit but it's not a big deal from what most everyone says.

Offroad they are supposed to be awesome from what everyone I have talked to says.

exhaust, flowmaster 40.
get a nice deep growl around 2k RPM, vroom vroom

Ill take a look into the lockers...that's on my todo list, which I would get around by 6 months from now (shame)
Posted via Mobile Device

Back