Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who needs a heater valve?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 1998Exp, October 10, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 1998Exp

1998Exp Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Seattle WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Limited V8 AWD
    You know, that all-plastic, failure-prone gizmo at the connection to the heater core behind the firewall. As it recently broke, relieving my Ex of all coolant in a jiffy and I am waiting for kind people to tell me which way to install the replacement (see my previous post on the subject), I have been contemplating the need for this thing. It closes in MAX AC or OFF to block the coolant flow to the heater core, but doesn't the blend door perform a similar function anyway? A point of reference: my 04 Crown Vic, with a virtually identical HVAC system doesn't have a heater valve.

Last edited: October 10, 2019
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 XLT
    The valve keeps coolant out of the passenger compartment when the heater is not being used. Without it, you can feel the heat radiating through the HVAC by the passenger's feet. You can bypass it and see how you like or don't like it with 2 pieces of 1/2" OD tubing, hose clamps, and a plug for the vacuum line. I carry 2, 3" pieces of tube in my Explorer in case the plastic valve (or heater core) falls apart. It fell apart on me before, luckily in the garage.

You install it just like the old one came off. There are arrows on the valve showing you the direction of flow. Some of the aftermarket valves don't line up right because the flow direction of wrong.