Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Whole house replumb / kitchen facelift

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by MountaineerGreen, July 31, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. MountaineerGreen

MountaineerGreen Towing Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 F150 4x4
    The city I live in is installing new water mains to replace the ones that are 50+ years old. My house was plumbed in 1966 with galvanized pipes. When the new main is hooked up, the water superintendent expects water pressure to increase by 10 PSI. Knowing all that, I decided it was time for a meter back replumb to protect my appliances from the clumps of minerals and deposits that would undoubtedly get knocked loose. So, I started by digging a trench from my meter to my house. I did this by hand-

[​IMG]

I buried a 2" pvc pipe, then pulled 3/4" pex from my meter with a tracer wire to under my house.

I pulled out my washer and dryer set to remove the water heater and removed it to find the floor under it had suffered water damage from a failed water heater in the past.

[​IMG]

I pulled up the old flooring and decking, stripped it down to the sub floor, put new vapor barrier, new plywood and new vinyl flooring-

[​IMG]

I decided to install a PEX system with a manifold to distribute the water, each line from the manifold runs directly to the appliance or fixture, so there are no tees in the system anywhere, no fittings under the house. The manifold has valves for each line, so if you have a problem with one thing, you don't have to shut down the whole house. I also installed a 20 gpm whole house sediment filter to catch anything that may be in the water pipes.

[​IMG]

After making all the connections, I installed the new water heater and put the washer dryer stack back in.

[​IMG]

You can see all the lines, red for hot and blue for cold, each line runs to one appliance or fixture only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, while that was going on, I also did a kitchen facelift, new cabinet hardware and countertops-

Before-

[​IMG]

After-

[​IMG]

I am waiting on one more piece of formica for the area next to the cooktop, but other than that, its done.

The replumb took about 4 days total, most of the work was under the house, pulling the PEX and removing the old pipes. The floor replacement added about a day. I only went without water for 2 nights, fortunately I have a separate hydrant for watering that I was able to leave on, and I was able to shower at a house a few blocks away.

I've done a fair bit of plumbing, and I love the PEX system, I will use it if at all possible from now on.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
  4. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    That looks great Evan!. Nice to hear from you by the way.

The plumming system looks pretty impressive, probably a lot less expensive than copper

5. MountaineerGreen

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    2012 F150 4x4
    Plumbing total was around $1500, all the brass fittings here and there are expensive as well are the filter housings. To have done the job in copper would have been probably twice as much, rigid copper, solder and fittings are pricey!

I also installed a charcoal filter under the kitchen sink to improve water taste for the icemaker and cooking.

6. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Great State of Texas
    1999 Sport
    PEX is the way to go...

When I rebuilt my house and my Moms' house in Galveston after the hurricane in 2008, I used PEX for the water and gas lines....Did the same distribution to each location instead of multiple junctions and tees...The best part of it is being able to isolate a zone without turning off the water or gas everywhere...

That looks really good MountaineerGreen...BTW what did your manifold run you?

7. MountaineerGreen

City, State:
    North East Arkansas
    2012 F150 4x4
    Manifold, no main inlet fittings was $175

We Support Our Troops!