Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Who's hooked on the Joe?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by espnfreak, September 15, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      You hooked on the joe? If you are, you prolly have plenty of experience with coffee cups. I am supposed to test several different types of cups, syrafoam, glass, ceramic, and metal. I need to use the metal one and use cardboard, foil, platic, cans, notebook paper, foam materials, scotch tape, straws, glue, string, paper clips, staples, and bubble wrap to design something that will keep heat in the longest. You guys got any ideas? I'm all over the web ideas and i am pondering a few. I think metal should keep it warmest the longest, insulated by styrafoam, but i know we got a few creative guys on this board who can come up with anything. Heck you guys all got unique rides...;)

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~che390/projects/Proj02.htm

thats just a link i found. it talks about some convex covered glass that worked the best...i wanna try doin that

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      k i think im just going to do a thermos, with insulation inside, and reflective outside, to reflect the cold

4. rvitek

rvitek Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wauconda, IL
      2001 XLT 5.0
      Rock?

Whenever we camp and build a fire, there's usually a cement floor to the fire ring. Every morning, all I have to do is put some wood on it and it'll light as it stays hot enough to do the job. I wasn't sure if some type of rock was allowed, but I know you can make some type of form and buy/mix a bag of cement that may do the job as well. The only problem I see, is you have to somehow get it hot before you put the coffee in.

I dunno, I'm tired :)

Good luck!

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Is this a class assignment? I probably shouldn't help because I've had a couple of classes in heat transfer.....

Three types of heat transfer: conduction, convection and radiation.

Conduction is when energy is transferred from molecule to molecule (or atom to atom). Best way to stop this mode is to use dead air space (vacuum is best) because without molecules ( vacuum) transfer can't take place. A thermos uses this principle by having vacuum between inner and outer wall of bottle. Styrofoam is good because it has a low rate of thermal conduction. Metal is bad; conduction heat transfer is high through most metals.

Convection requires mass transfer (evaporation) and gas (air ) circulation. Molecules leave liquid surface and carry energy from the coffee cooling it down. A closed container will eliminate mass transfer and hence heat transfer.

Radiation heat transfer is when energy is transferred by electromagetic waves through space. Energy from the sun, visible light, x-rays all use this mode. Best way to minimize this is to pick materials which do not radiate as well and/or reflect heat back to source. Usually thermos bottles have silver reflective lining; this helps to reflect heat back.

Remember, if you use these ideas, I get 10% of all future earnings;) :D

P.S. Thermodynamics says heat energy always moves from high temp to low temp, ie you cant reflect cold back where it came from cause the energy transfer moves from hot to cold, never from cold to hot

Last edited: September 16, 2002