Why I didn't buy my Explorer today | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why I didn't buy my Explorer today

That's pretty poor, trying to peddle a hail damage vehicle as "new" and stating that the dings are "normal":thumbdwn:

You did the right thing not buying the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe it is a dealer installed option, we pre-ding your car so you don't have to feel bad when you get the first one.

Maybe it is a dealer installed option, we pre-ding your car so you don't have to feel bad when you get the first one.

Heh Heh. I believe that would be a high priced dealer installed option requiring a seperate ADP sticker on the window... Also non-negotiable. "The option is on all our cars"...

It's a "feature". Haven't you seen that the golf ball effect helps reduce drag?

It's a "feature". Haven't you seen that the golf ball effect helps reduce drag?

You can buy distressed furniture, so you can get the satisfaction of owning new furniture but your friends will think you own an antique. Maybe this a new market for dealers to make a couple of extra bucks.

wsdavis508, it’s unfortunate that the Explorer had those issues. You should be happy with your purchase and proud of what you drive. I’m glad you ordered a 2012 as well. Please let me know if you’d like me to track it for you. So I can do that, please PM me your order number & dealer name / dealer code.

bfiftytwo, totaling your Traverse must have been an awful experience. I’m glad you’re OK. I would also like to help with the other concerns you listed with your Explorer. Would you mind sending me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can do this?

Cory

I went to pick up and purchase my new Explorer LTD today - the one that I ordered back in April. Sadly, I ended up walking away from it because of things I found on the vehicle that didn't seem appropriate for a brand-new vehicle.

What do you all look for when picking up a new vehicle? What rights do you have if you miss something before driving it off the lot?

My story:
When doing an initial walk-around, I found a 1/2" dent in the hood surface. Not anything too serious, but very noticeable in light reflections. As we looked closer, I found several more, ranging in diameter from 1/8" to 1/2". About 7 on the hood, one above the windshield, and another on the tailgate. Again, I didn't see any scratches - the paint all seemed to be fine, just irregularities in the surface that became very noticeable when looking at the reflections.

The salesman asserted that this was normal - that all new cars have something wrong - and that I was being picky. He said it must have come off the line like this, and that it must have passed Ford's QA for it to be delivered this way. I thought for sure, Ford would make sure to get these issues fixed - after all, how can you expect to sell a car as brand new with dents in the hood? He assured me that for aesthetic issues like this, Ford won't do anything, and that these issues are to be expected in a car at this price point. If I expected perfection, I should go with a different brand. He added that if I didn't want it, he was confident that someone else would come along and be happy to take it.

I've never seen a new car that came with dents/dings in the exterior panels, and my cheap Honda definitely wasn't delivered like this. I thought about it long and hard - I really wanted to buy the vehicle. But for a vehicle priced over $45k, I didn't see how dents in the exterior could be acceptable. I walked away from the deal, and while I'm disappointed, I feel good about the decision. I'm certain that over time, I would have felt like I got screwed over, and I'd be pissed at my dealer and at Ford.

But I'm still a bit miffed by what the salesman told me, and I have a couple thoughts:
1) If it's true that Ford considers aesthetic defects to be normal, that really doesn't bode well for the rest of the vehicle's quality. I wonder how Ford (Cory?) would feel about the salesman's statements.
2) What if I hadn't done a thorough walk-around before signing and driving off the lot? I'd probably be screwed, right?

Btw, once I made up my mind that I was going to pass on it, he acknowledged that it might have been hail damage during transit. I now have an order for a 2012 model (I already waited 2 months for this, what's another couple months?). He was pretty kind throughout the process; he says he'll have no problem selling the vehicle to someone else.

Being in sales myself, this story disappoints me. I see why salesmen get the reputation we have, terrible. You did the right thing by walking away. I'm sure Ford and the dealer would be in your corner and that sales person doesn't have a job much longer when the details come out.

I can say, I have held back delivery of a vehicle because it was not up to my standards of a new car. My customer was impressed and had no issue waiting a week until it was corrected. There are some out there that will do anything for a sale, but most want the customer to be 100% satisfied! I'm glad you ordered the '12 and have a better salesperson that wants you to be satisfied!

I feel what you are saying. When we purchased ours I signed paperwork and put a biiiig downpament before I saw the vehicle.....it was a dealer locate. When we went to pick-up the vehicle there were paint nics, leather scuffs and some small flakes in the perforated leather....looks like paint chips. I spoke to the detailer about the paint chips and he told me if he had to repaint any of those there was a chance that the paint would not match the rest of the new car color. I was also told that the flakes in the leather would not be covered under the Warranty unless the flakes get bigger. I don't know if Corey can comment on this? I am upset at myself for not walking away from the car....but we had to get a rig due to our 2011 Chevy Traverse was totaled after having it only six months....hit a black cow at night and the car caught on fire and burned up. So I have always been a Ford man and went with the X. I think your dealer and mine are all full of it. So as per my conversation with my dealer I am going to keep my eye on the leather flakes and the paint nicks....if they get worse I will be taking it back for warranty work. I do love driving the rig but as everyone else on this forum have run into problems with A-Pillar noise and streaky windows.

My front pass. leather seat had two very small flakes. One on the back and one on the cushion where three sewn seams come together. My dealer replaced under warranty. Glad I ended up with a great dealer.
Carman Ford
New Castle, DE

Mine didn't have anything noticeable, and transport included shipping to the factory to a port, loading into a RO/RO vessel, 10k miles by sea, unloading at destination port and shipping from the destination port to the dealer. And I would not have accepted dents or flaws.

Back