why is my air bag light blinking? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

why is my air bag light blinking?

Robert.. I'm getting an airbag code 32. Drivers side open circuit deal.

Any idea what this means? Where do I need to look for a problem? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by section525
Robert.. I'm getting an airbag code 32. Drivers side open circuit deal.

Any idea what this means? Where do I need to look for a problem? Thanks!

I have found that code 32 open circut is usually a clock spring.

Is that pretty easy to fix, River? What exactly is that?! :eek:

The clock spring is the wire assembly that goes from the steering column up into the steering wheel. Signals for the speed control, horn, and air bag go through these wires.

If that is what is faulty then it's quite easy to fix. No special tools are needed. It will take around 1-2 hrs.

If you have the service CD then use that or I can post how to do it.

I better get the 'how to' from you. Could you post it here or email it to me at jp@skidpg.com ?

Thanks!!!

Before you bust out the tools you should get out a service manual because this procedure is NOT in the manual.

1. Disconnect batt.
2. Remove driver air bag.
3. Remove steering wheel. Make sure wheels are straight ahead.
4. Remove lower dash trim.
5. Remove trim around steering column.
6. Remove clock spring assy.

That is basically it. You will have a few other things you need to remove such as the ign cylinder but it is not that tough. While not recommended by ford you can remove the steering wheel by loosening the nut and then hammering the nut/shaft while a friend pulls the wheel off.

Thaaanks! I'll try it on Monday!

I am getting the same airbag code 37 in my 2000 XLT. I just wondered if anyone was able to diagnose this problem, and what was the cure?

Well its only been 3 1/2 months so I haven't done mine yet. :rolleyes: But it is on my to-do list! :D

Hey River.. where do I get this clock spring mech from? The dealer? Do you think that's what my problem is? How can I diagnose for sure? Thanks!

correct me if i am wrong but doesnt the cd rom service manual tell you what codes are there under (service/ electrical, dianogsis testing/ trouble shooting???)

hey guys,

for all of u asking about the airbag situation, i still havent fixed it yet. its still blinking that same pattern. anyway, i found out what the cause of it is. under the passenger seat are 2 wires. blue and a yellow i think. anyways, these wires are connectd to a sensor device. one of the wires was pulled out of the socket which is giving me the airbag light. i know people are asking pictures and im sorry that i havent been on top of it lately. i promise tonight that i'll post some pics. stay tuned!

I have just solved my code 37 problem. I unhooked the connectors under the passenger seat, and hooked them up again and the airbag light went out. I think that they must have been disturbed when I was vacuuming under there. My light flashed on an intermitend basis, so I assume that there was a poor connection.

just saw this thread, and was just going to say exactly THAT, check the underseat connectors, even unplug em and plug em back in... may be just the fix.

Happy Exploring

Chris

Originally posted by Glacier991
just saw this thread, and was just going to say exactly THAT, check the underseat connectors, even unplug em and plug em back in... may be just the fix.

Happy Exploring

Chris

You mean all the connections that you can get to from the rear of the front seats?

Also, my was flashing 3 2... now its flashing 1 2. WTF?
Anyone know whats up?

73318038405_0_ALB.jpg

how can i fix this?

hey blue.. did u check it after u read my post?? haha just curious... any ideas how to fix my problem? where can i get sensor like that besides the dealer?

Originally posted by section525
Also, my was flashing 3 2... now its flashing 1 2. WTF?
Anyone know whats up?

Nevermind. I forgot to put the fuse back in from last time I fudged with it! Doh. But I'm going to get serious on this project now. Who can tell me what about a clock spring? Thanks

What do u want to know about the clock spring? It's the device that allows the airbag in the steering wheel to work while allowing turning of the wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I can just get a whole new mech from ford? Or can I fix this one? How do they go bad? Thanks River

Back