Why you should take better care of your PS pump than I did | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why you should take better care of your PS pump than I did

I don't believe that all steering fluids are compatible with each other... Try putting Type F in a Chrysler (junk) and get back to us... I'm sure that the engineers that developed the system would know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Common sense is more important than what any book tells you.
I have witnessed, or heard about, way to many "accidents" happening because of what advice was followed, in the face of logic, or common sense.

Transmission fluid has no business ever being used in anything except a transmission, period. The same goes for any other application specific fluid. Stop looking to some manual as a "God", and use a little common sense.

Common sense should be the first thought. If you don't have any knowledge of the subject, then look to the book, or advice.

End of subject, it's been beaten to death. Let it lie in peace,
Good night.
Don W

Ummm... I don't think I can "let it lie in peace" that easily... I couldn't disagree more with your last post...

CDW6212R said:
I have witnessed, or heard about, way to many "accidents" happening because of what advice was followed, in the face of logic, or common sense.

Transmission fluid has no business ever being used in anything except a transmission, period. The same goes for any other application specific fluid. Stop looking to some manual as a "God", and use a little common sense.

Common sense should be the first thought. If you don't have any knowledge of the subject, then look to the book, or advice.

Good night.
Don W

When in doubt, whip it out (the book that is). Keep in mind Manual Transmissions used to take gear oil, now most (if not all) call for Automatic Transmission Fluid. Common sense you say? maybe for some. If your not 100% sure what fluid goes where, read the manual, at least you can't be blamed for voiding your warranty by using innappropriate fluids.

Someone once said "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Always use the manufacturers recommended fluids. Let's not try to think we know better than the engineer who designed the different steering mechanicals.

CDW6212R said:

Good night.
Don W

I agree on taking the manufacturers suggestions.

One bottle of PS fluid we had laying around said on the back "not for full fill." I deciding to dump it in my oiling can for my combine chains.

Chrysler stick shift transmissions call for their own fluid. Type F is different from Mercon is different from Mercon V is different from Dexron. Dot 3 brake fluid is different from Dot 4.

Hell, Honda power steering systems call for their own fluid too. A bottle of Valvoline Synpower power steering fluid I have (that I use in our Reattas) says NOT to use it Honda systems.

Power steering fluid is different from ATF and those are different from hydraulic fluid. I'm not about to dump John Deere Hygard into my truck, nor would I dump Mercon into my John Deere 95 Corn Special hydraulic resevoir.

Back