Wife crashed the Explorer...

Joe_R

Reaction score
City, State
delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2K2 XLT
Update:
Well, got the prelim. estimate this afternoon. First, they stated that State Farm wanted to put on used parts. I declined and the body shop guy was relieved. Second, they didn't put it on the frame machine yet. But the estimate came in around $8,300 so it was not a write off pending the extent of the frame damage (there was some). The entire front end need replaced, aluminum hod, fender, cross member, firewall damage, etc. After we went through what neede to be done, I didn't want the car back. I figured the lawyers could work that out. Well, just got a call from the body shop and they had it on the frame machine. Sure enough, the frame was too bent to be replaced. So with that expense, they're writing it off. So I'll be looking for a new vehicle in the coming days. I know there are some good lease deals on the Eddie Bauers.

The wife and kids were driving to a party Friday night when some idiot in an Altima decided his cell phone was more imporant than my family. As she approached an intersection (green light around 50mph), he makes a left turn in front of her. She ran off the road into a ditch and into somone's yard, nearly missing a tree. The guy that she hit claims he never saw her...because he was taking a call. He was cited for failure to yield etc. People, get a hands free set please and talk on the phone sparingly while driving. Luckily, everyone was relatively ok. The kids were shaken and upset for a few days. The wife is stiff and has a bump on her head. She hit her head on the window or pillar. I posted pics below of the two cars. She definately won this battle....again luck it wasn't worse and didn't flip.

One question...does it seem strange the Explorer's airbags didn't go off?

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not at all. Air bag systems in vehicles are very advanced, and incorporate many different sensors that tell the computer what kind of accident/roll over event is occuring. If the deceleration sensors aren't tripped within milli seconds of each other, the bags won't deploy. One thing people don't realize, there are accidents where the bags deploying can do more damage than good, most likely the impact wasn't solid enough on the body of the truck to deply the airbags. My buddies 3/4 ton suburban recently was involved in an accident with nearly identical impact area, but much more severe (wheel was completely removed in accident) and the bags didn't deploy.

Looks like the explorer faired very well in the accident, very reasuring to me since I drive the same model. Glad to hear your family is doing well, by far the most important issue.

Glad to hear your family came through that ok. I would say the Explorer definately "won" that accident. It really held up well compared to the car that struck it.

Sorry your kids had to go through that. Must be scary. Glad everyones alright.

-Drew

Definately glad the wife and kids are OK. Just another testament to the strength and crash-worthiness of these trucks.

The airbag not deploying isn't a surprise. Based on the damage that occurred, and the fact that you said your wife continued on for some distance, it tells me that it wasn't a very severe impact. It looks like the suspension took the brunt of the impact, and the truck absorbed the energy of the crash as it should have. Had it been a bridge abutment she it instead of an Altima, then I suspect they would have deployed.

As for the putz that pulled out in front of her, I'm sorry.... he clearly should not try and walk and chew gum at the same time. How to you not notice a WHITE 5000LB SUV with the front profile of a SHOEBOX coming at you at 55 mph??? Maybe in a blizzard I'd call it plausible, but not in dry conditions, for sure!!

Moron.....

As for the Ex, I'm guessing they're going to total it out?

Crunch all ya want..... we'll make more. :)

Glad everyone is okay. :thumbsup:

I don't believe the Explorer is totaled. We'll see once the estimate comes in. I know the insurance company already wrote off the other car. Thanks for the replies.

I believe the air bag sensors in the front are located on either side of the grille. That doesn't look too bad compared to the other car. The only thing I'm concerned about if I was the owner and was gonna get it fixed would be frame since it looks like to be its been pinched right near the firewall.

Hey if they write it off I sure could use the hood, right fender, and corner light. I hit a deer that wasn't on the phone but paying about as much attention as your cell phone user.

ps..glad all are ok.

if its a write off/total, The insurance agency gets the car. If the owner wanted to buy it back, they will give them the value of it minus the salvage price.

They might not total it.

A couple of weeks before christmas, my dad hit an ice patch, then a snow drift. It sent his 98 XLT 4x4 into a spin. He ended up sliding backwards/sideways into a telephone pole, catching the same damaged area of this truck. Destruction; Hood, bumper, fender, A arm, tie rods, wheel, headlight, corner, inner fender, grill, rocker, shock etc..and one telephone pole. Total damage $5500.00. The truck has 74k on the clock and they did not total it.

It sucked too. The ford dealer put a used hood on it, and the hood strut on the new hood was blown! So he had to fix that too!

Well, got the prelim. estimate this afternoon. First, they stated that State Farm wanted to put on used parts. I declined and the body shop guy was relieved. Second, they didn't put it on the frame machine yet. But the estimate came in around $8,300 so it was not a write off pending the extent of the frame damage (there was some). The entire front end need replaced, aluminum hod, fender, cross member, firewall damage, etc. After we went through what neede to be done, I didn't want the car back. I figured the lawyers could work that out. Well, just got a call from the body shop and they had it on the frame machine. Sure enough, the frame was too bent to be replaced. So with that expense, they're writing it off. So I'll be looking for a new vehicle in the coming days. I know there are some good lease deals on the Eddie Bauers.

I believe if the labor & parts are 75% of the value of the vehicle, they will total the vehicle.

Glad to hear you family is ok!

I would say because its offset soo much, it missed the sensors.

Blee1099 said:
I believe if the labor & parts are 75% of the value of the vehicle, they will total the vehicle.
80% according to the body shop.

Joe_R said:
80% according to the body shop.

Yeah every company is different. Geico told me 75% and I believe Progressive is also 75% from what Monmix's co-worker told me.

that may not be totaled. Looks like it just sheared off the ball joint. The frame will probably be the deciding factor though.

Glad everyone is ok and no one was seriously hurt.

Ford airbag sensors haven't been in the grille for quite sometime. The airbag “module” is either located either under one of the front seats or under the center console. There are two types of air bag module recorded crash events. The first is the non-deployment event. A Non-Deployment event is an event severe enough to “wake up” the sensing algorithm but not severe enough to deploy the air bag(s). It contains Pre-Crash and Crash data. The module can store one Non-Deployment Event. This can be overwritten by an event that has a greater recorded velocity change (Delta-V). This event will be cleared by the module after the ignition has been cycled 250 times (about 60 days of normal driving).

The second type of recorded crash event is the Deployment Event. It also contains Pre-Crash and Crash data. The module can store up to two different Deployment Events, if they occur within five seconds of one another. The first deployment event will be stored in the deployment file (this would have been the event that deployed the air bag) and the second Deployment Event will be stored in the Near Deployment file. Deployment events can not be overwritten or cleared from the module. Once the module has deployed the air bag, it must be replaced.

Hope this sheds a little light on your airbag concern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, looks like they're giving me $15,250 for the truck...it's offically totaled. $13,300 damage which doesn't include the damage to the tranny and transfer case. I've got a rental for one more week. I just put money down on a Honda Pilot, so looks like I'll be leaving the Explorer forum. Good luck to all.
PS, I've got a few items in the classified section: set of like new floor mats, blank fog light plates and a steeringwheel harness/cruise buttons.

Back