Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Will 32" M/T's fit?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by Exploder Boy, October 10, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 XLT
      Will 32x10.5x15 fit on a 93x w/ 2" lift? I reall want to get them, and i want to make sure they will fit w/ minimum trimming

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Every Explorer is different due to different equipment and manufacturing tolerance ranges. 32x10.5 will fit with 2", but you'll most likely have to trim. The trimming will not be bad though. I've found the best thing to do is put on the tires, then go flex the suspension out. Then look in the wheel wells and find any black marks or places the tires have rubbed the surface clean. This is where you need to trim! Do this and then some, then go out and test again. Minor rubbing doesn't hurt the tires any, except for maybe a few little chunks taken out of the shoulder. That will happen anyway once you hit a few potholes.

Good luck!

4. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      1993 XLT
      What about when i turn, will the tires rub on the inside of the wheel well? Some people have been telling me about getting new brake lines, or extended radius arms. will it hurt if i flex the suspension? I really dont feel like getting those things. thanks alot man....

5. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      you shouldn't need to get any longer "misc" parts with only 2" of lift. Wouldn't hurt though.

You'll most likely rub on the front bumper, the rear of the front fenders at the bottom corner, and possibly at the top of the wheelwell at the fender lip. Depending on your early model wheel well liners, you may rub on those also, but that's not a biggie at all. These are the most common places for rubbing. On gen IIs, people also rub on the swaybar and other suspension components.

You shouldn't have any problems in the rear.

6. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      1993 XLT
      Will it be easy to trim all of these things? And, what should i cut with, and how long willl it take, and is there anything behind the fender that cant get wet Thanks for your input

7. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Unless you start cutting into the firewall (which you wont), you shouldn't have to worry about water.

I mostly use a 4" grinder for my trimming. For plastic I use good straight metal snips. I've also used a Sawzall at times, but mostly use the grinder. Good thing about the grinder is that it was $30 at Home Depot and is a great, safe tool. I wear gloves and googles, and try to cover up my arms and legs too. But there isn't as much of a danger of it kicking back at you.

Anyway, Overall all my trimming has probably taken me a total of 5 hours.

Oh, and shoot some paint onto any metal edges you cut. Rustoleum spray is perfect, and comes in many colors.

8. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      1993 XLT
      Thanks man, now i am confident i can gte 32's. If you were in this position, would you go for the 31 or 32's? So did you say that tin snips can cut all the plastic.

9. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Well, if you want easy then go 31x10.50. If you don't mind trimming go 32x10.50. 32x11.50 will require a lot more trimming.

Hell, I only have 2.25" of lift and 33x12.5! It all depends on how much you want to work on it.

10. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      1993 XLT
      So do you think that i will only have to trim plastic? If so, does it look real ugly on the inside of the wheel well? I really dont think the tires will rub on any metal, i have measured many times. I would go with 31's, and make it easier. But if im gonna do it, im gonna do it right! And spend the time trimming. And when you trim, do you cut all the way through the plastic fender wall, or do you just shave it off. And how big of strips do i need to cut out? Thanks alot. Could you show me pics of your trimming so i can see how it looks? Thanks alot!

11. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      there are pics of my trimming in the before/after forum. i say just get the tires and see what you have to do.

12. Exploder Boy

Exploder Boy Member

City, State:
      West Des Moines, Iowa
      1993 XLT
      I am going to get 32x11.5 BFG Muds. They are the only mud 32" i could find in town. Nobody has 32x10.5 except for the brigestone place, and they want almost 800 for every thing. I found a BFG place, and they want 600. so for 200 less i will have to do more trimming, right? Are you saying that if i work at it real hard i can make the tires fit, and make it look nice also?

13. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      most likely ;)