Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I'm really excited to see you pull this off.
I hope this centering part is easier than I think its going to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd maybe cut that pulley down some..

What is this piece under the blower? A custom made piece?

Screenshot_2018-11-29-05-50-20-1.png

It is part of the Kenne bell F150 kit I bought. I replied to you before, search this thread as another member may have one to bolt-up to an Explorer from a lightning kit......................to bolt on a kenne Bell blower. It is CJ7.

I need to bolt-up the F150 manifold, blower manifold and blower to get some precise measurements for how far out the blower pulley will need to be. The pic I posted is close to where it should be.

I wasnt sure which piece you were talking about.
I know a guy who van make an adapter plate to mount it on a an explore motor using the explore fead.I was going to go that route but I'm going with a vortech s-trim. Need more boost

The biggest issue is the snout length to engine accessory difference. I have not gotten an accurate measurement yet, but It looks to be about 2.25". I am back to looking into shortening the snout VS running a separate crank pulley and belt for the supercharger.
Adding a crank pulley is no easy thing, there would be some precise fabrication in bolting/welding/balancing a pulley to the existing crank pulley. There are three existing tapped holes in it and we have seen these made. However adding a pulley up front would eliminate any room for the cooling fan. I would have to run multiple electric pushers fans................So I have decided to get down to comparing cost and nicest install.......... If I could get the snout machined down to fit the existing engine accessory bracket length, it would keep the install much more sanitary, nice. I have also come to the conclusion that while I think I could get a pulley bolted-on and welded-up. It would likely still need to be balanced at a machine shop. I don't know if someone would balance my work.

I am going to be checking into both deeper, will post-up my findings and try to get this blower on in the spring.

Happy New Year!!!
Thanks,
Chris

I would also try hard to make the snout length work for the stock pulley/belt. How far off is what you have so far? If it's not bad, why not alter/fabricate the intake plenum. The plenum you have isn't ideal for airflow/size, so anything you would do with it can't hurt flow.

I would also try hard to make the snout length work for the stock pulley/belt. How far off is what you have so far? If it's not bad, why not alter/fabricate the intake plenum. The plenum you have isn't ideal for airflow/size, so anything you would do with it can't hurt flow.

He’ll have to shorten the snout, there is absolutely no room to shift the blower rearward. As I demonstrated with pics earlier, the inlet manifold is right against the firewall.

Modding the manifold may not be the best idea anyway. My fabricator didn’t want to modify the factory cast inlet, stating issues with future cracking by tig welding the cast. So im going with a sheet metal inlet.

Chris

Update: I pulled the upper intake this evening. Frickin' exhaust and coolant hose lines will be terminated.

I have my son home and another vehicle to drive. I got help and have a ride. I am going to tear into it tonight and see about bolting-up the Blower to see what all it is going to take.

I am getting exited to play explorer again!

I got to pull the lower intake, coils and plug wires. I am going to try to get the blower mounted and look at adding the blower pulley to the crank. I will have some pics to post and hopefully make good progress this weekend.

Very good. The space at the back and the top of the pulley are the tight spots. Keep going.

Yah, I need to build a throttle body adapter to the blower, adapt EGR, center/bolt/weld pulley to crank pulley/balancer, install electric fans, lengthen the snout/idler pulley bracket for the blower. I am going to try and do the crank pulley first.

It is tight! I am going to have to cut-out the hood insulation at the blower pulley. No way this set-up would have fit under a stock hood, the truck lower I am using intake is taller.

First things first, well it fits,
Next-up
See if I can add 1/8" spacer welded to the back of the blower crank pulley, bolt it up with the holes already tapped into the crank balancer pulley, and center it. I plan on bolting it up while it is mounted to the engine and will use a dial indicator to get it right on. Then I will take it off heat it properly and plug weld it in a triangle pattern like the bolts are. If there is a balance issue I will take it in to my local drive line shop, he said he could balance it. I got a plan and do not think it will be that difficult.

Any chance that any of you guys have the dimensions of the snout support plate and bracket? Explorer express or anybodies at this point. Going cross eyed searching the web.

Any chance that any of you guys have the dimensions of the snout support plate and bracket? Explorer express or anybodies at this point. Going cross eyed searching the web.

That's a great question. The snout support is the only thing I need from the existing kits etc.

Looking good Blown, you’re gonna have yours done before I do.

I can measure the EE unit for you. It is not useful for the KB though.

Chris

I picked up a pair of terminator mustang superchargers last weekend. One ported and one factory. Plus the factory intercooler and a BBK 63mm twin throttle body. I think I need that EE bracket badly if I am going to pull this off with Vroomzoomboom's m112 intake dimensions.
So many thanks if you can get me the dimensions on that bracket

20190805_155643.jpg

Thanks Chris and CDW6212R for the incredibly fast responses as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut the idler pulley mount off of the power steering bracket to be able to install the snout/idler pulley bracket. I am fitting/modifying what I need so I can easily take the snout/idler pulley bracket off and trace it. It does not fit at this point. It was made for a 351W so is short and the bolts do not mate with the water pump bolts side to side. I guess the Exploder pump is a bit different. I am going to extend it with steel plate bolted onto the aluminum bracket at the bottom existing holes, then bolted to the water pump top two bolts. There is room there to get the bolts through. That is what I worked on yesterday. I bought some 1/4" plate to make it out of and have that much forward to backward space upon mounting and spacing-out idler pulleys to make it work. I will drill and tap a hole to remount the stock idler pulley where it used to be.

I also bought some 1/8 plate that I will cut my spacer out of. That's what I need between the pulley I got with this kit and the stock pulley balancer to space it out properly. I am going to start with a hole drill to make the center, then precisely cut and grind for balance.

Pics of front snout/idler pulley bracket:

snout-bracket-1.jpg

snout-bracket-2.jpg

snout-bracket-3.jpg

Back