Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I’m not sure where to direct you to read up on IAT locations. I looked for the kenne bell writeups on Don Lasota’s site, but looks like they are no longer listed. I know Don directed me to move mine before he tuned my ranger.

The eec is already set up to pull timing based on iat. You just want to adjust the target heat values and how much timing is removed.

I seem to remember that my thunderbird is 5* retard over 170* temps, but its been years since I've logged that tune.

The mini cooper bypass is a nice piece. I haven’t run one, but have seen many builds use them.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a75mm throttle body, EGR Block, and boost gauge ordered.

I got pulleys lined-up over last weekend. I drilled and tapped the snout/pulley bracket to remount the idler pulley for the main accessory belt. I made a cardboard template to make a plate to extend the snout/idler pulley bracket. Ill fab it this week and get it attached.

Boring stuff better get some pics up.

It was short
snout-bracket-2.jpg

Back side
back-snout.idler-pulley-bracket.jpg

Front side
front.jpg

A damn fender bender gal not looking before mergin" into me and hot tub breakin down screwed my progress on the blower install.

I did find and ordered an exhaust adapter, 4" oval to 4" circle which should work great to adapt the oval supercharger inlet to the throttle body.

snout/Idler pulley bracket installed
bracket-installed-with-idler-pulley.jpg

75mm T-body and egr block
trinkets.jpg

I'll cut this out and a circle plate as end caps to weld on to adapter below:
oval-end.jpg

oval-to-circle-adapter.jpg

Got me some aluminum tubing, silicone couplers, a 90 degree elbow/reducer, 1 5/8 silicone tubing for the bypass, a 1 5/8" bulkhead fitting to plumb the bypass and a digital wideband O2 meter with weld in bung and wideband sensor.

I got the adapter from oval to round built for the intake tubing throttle body mount. I used a 4" oval to round adapter made for exhaust, cut it at a little angle to bring the front up some.

adapter1.jpg

adapter2.jpg

adapter3.jpg

Cool

All I need is some cooler plugz, vacuum controlled heater mixing valve, throttle body boltz, idler pulley bolt, thermostat hose, center and weld-up crank pulley, supercharger belt, gaskets. and 1/5/8" hose fitting to fab-up vacuum blow-off . I need that stuff and to disassemble, clean and then reassemble. Oh yah, should be going soon....................

I am wondering about horses per pound of boost? 14.7lbs doubles power. 7.35lbs would increase power 50% 215 stock ponies too 322.5? I think that is in the ballpark?

15 horses per pound is one guestimate, but I know it depend on the engine build........................

I am wondering about horses per pound of boost? 14.7lbs doubles power. 7.35lbs would increase power 50% 215 stock ponies too 322.5? I think that is in the ballpark?

15 horses per pound is one guestimate, but I know it depend on the engine build........................

That might be close for the gross power results, but for wheel hp subtract a good 50rwhp. That's mostly from the single exhaust, the entire end to end set of parts. The front drive parts are a small part of the power loss we realize in these trucks.

Oh ya, that's at the flywheel.

I am getting close and excited. I hope to get it going this weekend.

Can we re-visit this iat sensor thing?

I just want to relate an experience I had when I re-located my iat sensor in to my lower intake.
Here's what happened:

Any time I was idling for any period of time the lower intake wasn't moving enough air and the iat sensor would start reading super high. What would the tune do from there? Pull timing, and increase idle. Basically made the truck run like crap. If you re-locate to the lower intake, you will need to spend some more time on the tune removing some of these things that will negatively effect how your truck runs. I didn't bother, as in the stock location I was reading boosted iat's anyway. I just moved back to the stock location, and called it a day.

Just a heads up, relating my experience.

Looking awesome, btw.

I seriously wonder if the IAT sensor and computer are fast enough to lower timing before pre-detonation?

I am not concerned about it, I will not be running that much boost and won't relocate the IAT. I did not have a problem on two prior supercharged builds and IAT's till I tried to run 12lbs.................too hot on a mild day, intercooling needed.

Some run a fuel pressure gauge. I will be running a wideband with digital gauge and will monitor it. I can also choose between two tunes that I can switch on the fly. I will have a limp tune in case of bad gas or something (lowered timing).

I left mine in the stock location to but I have the v6
Fantastic build thread good reading

I found cooler plugz, fabbed a throttle cable bracket, and prepped and painted the valve covers.

Pics of progress, throttle cable bracket, prepped and painted the valve covers, and intake plumbing

plumbing
throttle.jpg

throttle.2.jpg

F yea there bud looking good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's getting there, a lot more to do than I first thought.

The elbow is silicone and reduces from 4" to 3.25" It is stuffed to the max with metal tubing, but the 90 itself is silicone only. I thought about it enough to cut my tubing longer to go in it, but I do but do not think it will collapse.

Back