Will not move in any gear after running fine...help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will not move in any gear after running fine...help

blackerby33

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Check engine soon light has been on a month or so with code P0775. Which I know is pressure control solenoid. 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer has been running fine other than a hard shift from 1st to 2nd on a hard acceleration. Other than that runs great.....until today. Drove fine first part of day. Then it was parked for about 2 hours, got in drove about 150 yards and just quit pulling in D. Pulled over then checked all other gears including reverse and NOTHING. PLEASE HELP WITH SOME IDEAS. I dont know a whole lot about cars, but have plenty of common sense and can follow directions so any thing will help!! Thanks in advance.

Ben

First thing that comes to mind when you say a hard shift is that the synchro has gone out or going out between 1st and 2nd, but now that it's not going into any gear leads me to believe that it is ok for the time being. When was the last time you had the trany flushed? How are the levels? (Always check while running) you may have sludge and it could cause pressure build-up, than not all areas are being lubed. That could cause the code to show up.

I had a similar problem in 2014 with my 2004 explorer with a 5R55W transmission and it was the torque converter solenoid that went bad. I had to buy the whole block and it fixed the problem. I was driving and it quit pulling and I pulled over and shut it down and it wouldn't move. A day later it starts up ok but ran funky so I took it right to the shop without stopping. It ran me $450 at a local shop.

In 2012 and 2013 I had some phantom Tranny problems (Check Transmission light/popping out of OD) that were fixed by a service, fluid/filter/etc for about $100 each time.

Earlier this year I had intermittent clunking shifting, a shudder if you punched the accelerator going uphill, and now some serious slippage. This week it is getting rebuilt to the tune of $2200. This whole Explorer has been a money pit, definitely not as tough as my 96 was.

If you have 4x4, shift it into 4x4 Low. If it engages, roll forward a few feet and then put it back into 4x4 Auto. For whatever reason about once a year, my Explorer will go into "neutral" while driving. I do the above and I'm set for the next year...

Back