Will tail lights from 2006-newer explorer fit a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will tail lights from 2006-newer explorer fit a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer?

06Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Chetek, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi everyone, I'm new here and at a loss. Mountaineer tail lights are becoming harder to find in my area and I was wondering if tail lights from a similar year explorer will fit? Or if anyone could point me in the direction of finding aftermarket tail lights for 2006 or newer mountaineers. Thank you for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the question of the century, I cant seem to find any information on this anywhere and I cant find any aftermarket tail lights or headlights for the 06 mounty...

You would have to change all the fenders and all that, so pretty much a front and rear end swap to be able to fit the heads and tail of a Ford Explorer

http://https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432274,pgname,Body[/URL]

Mountaineers have different trim, front nose and bumper covers but the basic body shell is the exact same as an Explorer. Looking at photos it doesn't look like Ford spent the extra money to design a slightly different body shell so the Mountaineer can have different shaped taillights, it would be too expensive when you can just re-badge the same body for two different models. I'd buy a set of Explorer tails from a place with a good return policy just in case, but it looks like they would work.

The tail lights will fit but you will have about a 3/4 of an inch gap at the bottom. I put them on my 08 Merc since I wasn't a fan of the white/chrome look and wanted the black look. And when I point the gap out to friends, they never noticed till I told them.

Back