Will these Mustang wheels fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will these Mustang wheels fit?

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
I know that Mustang wheels will bolt on, but when searching I read about some people needing spacers and others not, and I really have no idea how wide these Mustang wheels are.

Will these wheels fit a '97 5.0 AWD with no spacers? They are brand new take-offs from 2008 Mustangs with PIRELLI P ZERO NERO P235/55ZR17 tires for $545 a set.

LG_614.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a 27" tall tire.
It will look small in the wheel well, considering a stock tire is 29"
How wide are the rims? And what is the backspacing, or offset?

I'm still trying to find out the sizes. I'm lowered 2.5", so the 27" tire may not look too bad until they wear out and I can buy a taller/wider tire. I do like the wheel wells to look full though...

Here is what I found on a Mustang forum:

Fits 2005-08 Mustang GT

5-Lug 4.5" bolt circle

6.295" backspacing

45 mm offset

17" x 8" wide

The later wheels from about 2002 on will not work without spacers. The offset of 45mm is typical, requiring a good 25mm of a spacer to set the wheel out enough.

Thanks. I'd rather not use spacers, so I'll just watch for some wheels that will just bolt right on.

Check out the Mustang wheels up to about 1998, the Cobra wheels should all work, though a 1/4" spacer still helps then. The wider than 7.5" wheels get too close to the upper ball joint.

Check out the Mustang wheels up to about 1998, the Cobra wheels should all work, though a 1/4" spacer still helps then. The wider than 7.5" wheels get too close to the upper ball joint.

Mine are 9"

a 265 tire would be fine-but my 275's did touch. It isn't a wheel issue, rather a tire side wall issue.

A grinder will fix it. You only need to see airspace there to be good. If that space changes you have a ball joint going bad. If the ball joints hold tight, there will be no bulge change at the top of the tire-in fact the gap increases with tire speed.

I'd say my tires are about 5/8 worn, with no tire issues. I think it is safe.
Like I have said before though-there is rubbing on the sway bar at full lock. You'll loose a bit of turning radius.
This only effects you for u-turns and such though. eliminate u turns and you are fine.

Jon, I'm being conservative, and my remark was about Mustang wheels. Those have specific know offsets, my 8" Cobra wheels were close but okay without spacers. I added the spacers later which helped.

The whole key is the wheel offset, with the right offset any wheel will not touch the ball joints. Stock tires are well inside wheel wells, most of us want them out more. I like them flush with the body, and that means offsets like 20mm to 25mm. The offsets need to change as the wheel width does, I have 8.5" wheels now with lots of room.

The front sway bar will always touch with bigger tires, I'm about to find out how much worse it can be with a 1.5" front bar. Regards,

The backspacing on the mustang wheels changed in 2005, so the wheels everybody is looking for, for their 1st? and 2nd gen Explorer/Mounty are 1994-2004 mustang wheels.

I first bought 2005 Mustang wheels for my girlfriends 00 Mounty and learned my lesson. Sold them and got a set 95 GT split-threespoke 17" for free that I'm putting on in a week or two.

yo just get a set of 97 cobra wheels and some tires. What color is your ex? There is a little bit of rubbing with 265/65/17's but you could always but 255/70/17's on them. Oh wait you are lowered. well 265/45/17's then maybe

Back