Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

will this cb mount location work?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by soon2bsick, April 29, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Limited SOHC
    I have a 102" up top and the only things I hit are wires that are to low and a few tree branches. If they put the wires and cut the tree limbs to national standards I wouldn't hit anything.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
    Muncie, IN
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Um, the only reason it's not on the roof is because it was a $5 antenna I got off of someone at work. Plus, I have a sunroof, so that limits me to magnetic mount antennas. I'm trying to do this without spending alot of money too. That's why it's not on the roof.

4. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    if you have a $5 antenna stop right there. the most important component of a cb radio setup. if you have a $5 antenna it wont matter how nice your radio is, it wont work well or be worth installing. components in order of importance: antenna, pl-259 wiring, radio. spend the 40 bucks and get a firestik setup, wilson magnet mount, or quality whip or dont even bother setting it up. you wont be able to transmit more than a 1/2 mile with a cheapie antenna.

5. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
    No Mounty no more.
    Drive threws are a biatch :D It wasn't so bad when I had mine mounted on the passenger side but with my new mount it's on the driverside. I hit every freaking tree branch in my neighborhood :mad:

6. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    I hit some trees and wires in local neighborhoods, that is about it. Once I get to any kind of semi-main road I don't hit anything. That really is a small price to pay for the range gains I get from length and height.

I never have liked using the drive through so I always went inside anyway.

The DB

7. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
    Muncie, IN
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I should have been a little more specific. He had an extra antenna that he bought a while back for his toyota four runner. He said it was a little too tall, so he got a 2" firestick instead. He offered me the antenna for $5 but he couldn't remember the brand. It was better than my old radio shack mag mount with the broken and kinked coax. That little POS probably would have burned up my radio if I used it too long.

8. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    got the cb installed today, also hooked up my PA speaker to it. However the cb place I ordered from forgot to include the FME adapter in my order for the coax cable so I wasn't able to get that ran or the antenna on.

Right now I have my 36" mag mount cobra antenna on it just so I can play with it while I wait on the adapter to get here.

9. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    3ft firestick on spring with firestick mount, Had to shave one side of it to make it not hit the back of the cab. Used 4 screws in the already drilled locations on the mount and then drilled a 5th one closer to the antenna because it flexxed a bit when the antenna was bent with the spring. Ran FME wilson flex coax cable between bed and cab to the opposite side of the truck and up through the hole that is located under the grommet in the back storage compartment (behind the smaller back seat)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    How well did it tune in that location?

The DB

11. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    tuned fairly easily, I was surprised. I think because more than half of it is above the cab. I'm not sure it would do well if it were a 2ft without the spring though. but being that its placed on the edge of the bed its not fully blocked in front either.

Overall I'm happy with this location and I think it turned out well

12. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    With that much metal nearby the antenna needs to be longer than if it were on the roof. The spring may have helped you out there.

The spring does look like it has been chromed, which would also help out bandwidth wise at first glance, however any amount of chrome really hurts antenna performance.

The DB

13. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    I won't know until tomorrow or so when I get out on the highway exactly how well the antenna is working, I just know it's picking up further than the (tuned) 36" cobra mag mount I have had on the roof for the past two days.

I think my dad is getting tired of going on CB test runs for me lol

he has an old school emergency kit CB from like the 70s with this dinosaur of a mag mount antenna (can't be tuned) and he gets crazy reception with it.

14. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    nice placement! do you have any pics of how you fed the wire?

15. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    I can get some for you tomorrow, It's really really simple if you have the FME type coax cable that has the removable connector.

this is the one I used

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-coax-with-fme-weather-boot.html

If you open the storage compartment behind the small rear seat you will see the big black grommet and if you pull that out you can see a small hole where light is coming through

we just ran the FME removable side of the coax cable up into that hole and through the storage compartment (compartment will still close even on the wire)

and then ran it under the door step/seal plastics up to my cb

I also cut a small groove in the grommet so it wouldn't pinch on the coax cable

16. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    While your at getting pictures I would love to see that old magnet mount antenna.

The DB

17. derek_redneck91

derek_redneck91 Active Member

City, State:
    Springfield, Ontario
    99 Explorer Sport 4x4
    Looks good! I too am surprised that it was easily tuned so close to the cab. I would almost go 1 foot higher with the antenna just to get higher above the cab. As everyone who runs a cb knows the higher, longer, and unobstructed an antenna is the better. Here's a photobucket of my installation.
    http://s1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg532/d_mann2/Cb installation/
    I dont have a problem with hitting drive throughs because the antenna is in the middle of the roof and I sit out a bit, or else I would hit. I have only ever hit a few trees in the suburbs where the branches hang low.

18. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer
    my main issue is that I work for a vacation home and condo rental company. Most of the time I am required to pull into the garages of the homes and condos and they're usually set up for beamers not sport trac's so the ceilings are low

if that were not the case I would of put a 102" whip on it and called it a day

but I don't want to be replacing antennas, or have disgruntled owners.

19. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    You are required to pull inside? That sounds like an odd rule to me, but then what do I know.

Get yourself a new job so you can get that 102 going... ;)

The DB

20. soon2bsick

soon2bsick Active Member

City, State:
    florida
    2000 mountaineer

some of the rich communities are not even allowed trucks unless you are a landscaper or working on a home.

This is the best job I've ever had lol I wouldn't trade it for any upgrade. I work whatever days I want, Take off whatever days I want and I only work from 10AM to 2PM and never on the weekends and it still pays as much as any other job I've ever had working 9-5

21. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Now that is overdoing it. Sometimes neighborhood organizations are just to strict. Determining what you can and can't drive? That has nothing to do with owning a house and making it look "nice". So everyone has to live by what a few that run some group think is best for everyone. If I lived in a place like that they would absolutely hate me. That being said, I would never move into a place like that, no matter how much money I had.

The DB