will this transmission match my truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will this transmission match my truck

ttavenieriii

Reaction score
City, State
kissimmee florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
i have a 1998 ford explorer 4.0 sohc v6 4x4 5r55e tranny.
i found a 1996 ford ranger with a 4.o v6 ohv 4x4.
but he says the thranny is a 5r55e tranny, will they match up?
the reason i ask is because the difference of the sohc and the ohv.
know... they both have the same wire harness and they both have the same bolt pattern.
please help because this is going to be a weekend project for me soo please
help...

and thanks in advanced for all the help.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have read that but that is just for 2000 and up i have a 98, so should there be any problem between the two trannys like i mentioned they both are coming out of an 4.0 but ones from a sohc and ones from a ohv engine

A 96 with a 5R55E? Does that sound right guys? I don't think the 5 speed auto was out then was it?

the '95-'96 tranny behind the 4.0 was a 4R55E. they will bolt up, but your electronics ain't the same. too many gremlins involved to make this an easy swap.

you're dealing with a 5R (5 speed) vs a 4R (4 speed)...............
my advice would be: "Don't Do It !"

the '95-'96 tranny behind the 4.0 was a 4R55E. they will bolt up, but your electronics ain't the same. too many gremlins involved to make this an easy swap.

you're dealing with a 5R (5 speed) vs a 4R (4 speed)...............
my advice would be: "Don't Do It !"

if i did this as a temp fix would me truck move
i understand that the only difference is a 4 speed vs a 5 speed tranny but
would the vehicle still move so i can get back and forth to work for the next week until the tranny i order comes in??????

The 5th gear isn't a physical gear. It's a virtual gear combination of the PCM.

so im lost know what do u mean by vertual gear?
and like i asked will it work in my truck?
its kinda confusing me with the electric stuff
what happen to the truck that if it bolted up it would work lol

so im lost know what do u mean by vertual gear?
and like i asked will it work in my truck?
its kinda confusing me with the electric stuff
what happen to the truck that if it bolted up it would work lol

To make 5 gears, they 'trick' an extra gear by engaging overdrive when one of the other gears are engaged. The 5R trans engages overdrive twice in up shift mode where as the 4R engages it only at highway speeds. The computer software controls this and if you have the wrong computer attached it will not time the shift solenoids correctly. The trans are slightly different internally too. You will then enjoy a blinking O/D light, delayed or no shifts or even worse. Sure it will run, but the shifting is going to very messed up as the computer is trying to put 5 portions of food on a 4 division plate(way to think of it)

This is not a matter of bolting up the transmission, you would have to do a 'brain transplant' with the other truck to make it work. Then you are running into a new can of worms with possible different wiring. Like the other guys said, get a 5R55E unit for your truck, and be done with it.

The 5R didn't exist before 97, so there is your answer.

i found the problem i have a big gash/hole in my tranny thats were all the fluid is coming from

Back