Wind wistle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind wistle

Well, our dealership came and picked the car last Thursday and the Head of Operations was personally going to work on the car. They tried to give us some crap about the noise only happens when driving East and West...I proved that theory wrong when i told the tech to ride with me. At 35 mph and up you hear the whistle no matter the direction of the car. What a bunch of horse chit.

We have not heard back on it yet...if it is still not fixed, Ford told us they were going to send someone from the factory to fix it. Then if it isn't fixed, we could possibly do a buy back. Our build date is also June.

I can tell you that we are not happy, and if you ask us, we would rather have another car at this point. As of right now, out of our 1300 miles on the car, almost half of it has been Ford test driving the car and now our Dealer has officially had the car longer than we have owned it and I have made 2 payments.

I also know this is going to affect the resell value of the car having an Oasis report longer than 6.0 Powerstroke.

RR

Scroll down to my post here and look at the condition of the car after the "fix"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306488&page=16
This whistling sound, is it sort of a vibration sound towards the top of the windshield. I've noticed that also, but wasn't sure if there was fix for it or not. When I say vibration, it's quite loud, and if the wind is blowing, it's a much louder whistle/rattle. With the burnt smell problems I've had with my '11 EX, I've been sort of relunctant to take her back in to the dealer. I thought I'd mention it on my first oil change, which should be in about 4 to 6 months. Then, after reading these posts, maybe I should just call them and ask them about it. Is there anything way to describe this perfectly so I don't come off as a woman who has no idea of what she's talking about? A whistle or a rattle? Rollingrock, it sounds as though you've had major problems with this, so that's why I'm asking you before calling the dealer. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well this car must be f in cursed or something. When I showed up home from work 30 min ago the EX was sitting in the driveway and the guy was talking to my wife. He said they feel it is fixed but if we are not satisfied they will keep working on it. Then as he is about to give us the keys, I noticed a nice new door ding...so guess what? I cannot tell that its fixed b/c we didn't even sit in it again and they drove it back off to the dealership. Sadly, this door ding is in is a spot that cannot be fixed by a PDR tool. The door will have to be sanded, bonded and painted. So....chalk up another week without our car. I did check the odometer, now the car has 1600 miles on it. Another 300 put on by Ford.

I am loosing it.

Bonnie, I don't know what they did on the car yet b/c we have no paper work, the guy delivering the car didn't know much, he is just a driver for the dealership.

This whistling sound, is it sort of a vibration sound towards the top of the windshield. I've noticed that also, but wasn't sure if there was fix for it or not. When I say vibration, it's quite loud, and if the wind is blowing, it's a much louder whistle/rattle. With the burnt smell problems I've had with my '11 EX, I've been sort of relunctant to take her back in to the dealer. I thought I'd mention it on my first oil change, which should be in about 4 to 6 months. Then, after reading these posts, maybe I should just call them and ask them about it. Is there anything way to describe this perfectly so I don't come off as a woman who has no idea of what she's talking about? A whistle or a rattle? Rollingrock, it sounds as though you've had major problems with this, so that's why I'm asking you before calling the dealer. Thanks!
Bonnie Lynn;
Search A-Pillar rattle on this forum and you will find many posts. Even a video that someone made. You can hear the sound perfect. I put the vid on my phone and played it for the service manager. No problem. Got is fixed.

Rollingrock I really feel for you. You would think they'd check your vehicle for anything possibly wrong with it before they brought it back to you. I'd either at this point be cursing up a storm, which I usually don't do, or just lose it altogether, and start crying like an idiot because I would have thought Ford would have stood behind their product. I'm a die-in-the-blue Ford person, and your problems with your Explorer have to take the cake for being the worse. You're so excited to get your new vehicle, and then the dealership is like the owner of the vehicle since you haven't had it too often since your purchase of the Explorer. I hope after they fix your dings in your door that you'll be able to enjoy it. Hang in there!

Update on the wind noise. Dealership called today said the car was ready. I so I was in the area so I stopped in to take a test drive.

So got on the highway and it has improved slightly but at 70 it shows up again and now its in a different location. Now its right infront of the driver on the top side...so if you were tyring to use Sync or be on the phone it would be difficult. In addtion, I noticed another section on the paint that has to be repainted. It's as if the base coat didn't adhear to the body panel and then they shot clear over it. Same issue we had on the rear Qtr panel.

So needless to say, I didn't take the car home, they are keeping it. Now they are going to have a Ford Tech fly down from the home office and try to fix it.

Ford did offer to pay a car payment for us since they have had the car for over 30 days now. I am done with this car.

I would like for the dealership to just keep it, give us our money back (We put over 13K down and another 1200 for headrest monitors, plus TTL) and we'd gladly buy another Ford but not another EX.

BTW, our build date was June 11th. Seems to be a number of folks here with June build dates with this same issue.

Dunno, but that is how frustrated we are.

Lastly, Ford put another 150 miles on the car.

put 7/13 build date with a wind whistle. my dealer heard an a-pillar rattle (i haven't!) on a test drive and missed the whistle. So I drove it and made them hear it. They heard it. so they are going to re-seal the windshield when they fix my a-pillar rattle (that i've yet to hear...) Can I tell them to not even mess with the pillars just to fix the windshield ... LOL.

put 7/13 build date with a wind whistle. my dealer heard an a-pillar rattle (i haven't!) on a test drive and missed the whistle. So I drove it and made them hear it. They heard it. so they are going to re-seal the windshield when they fix my a-pillar rattle (that i've yet to hear...) Can I tell them to not even mess with the pillars just to fix the windshield ... LOL.

I hope a reseal works for you, they tried that on mine already. It only changed the location of the whistle to closer to the driver now.

The dealership has had the car now for 33 days. I feel they are trying to force us to drive this car with all the band aids on it.

I am not satisfied with Ford on this. We are loyal Ford Owners. Having had 2 F150's, 1 Mountaineer, 1 Expedition, and I drive a King Ranch F250.

Ford could be loosing us. I am due for another heavy duty truck and I am starting to rethink staying with Ford at this point.

We'll end up with an Oasis report that will be littered with hits affecting the resell of the car. Not to mention, Ford has put near 700 miles on the car testing it.

The dealership has had the car now for 33 days. I feel they are trying to force us to drive this car with all the band aids on it...
Rollingrock,
I posted this on another thread with your post, so I wanted to reply here as well: You have a follow up from a Customer Service Manager soon. I can arrange for them to call you as sooner, so please send me a PM letting me know whether you’d like me to do that or not. I’m confident this will be resolved for you once and for all.

Cory

I have the same wind whistle issue. After going through other problems with my dealer, I hate the thought of taking it back to them. On the other hand I hate the thought of an upcoming 700 mile drive listening to the whistle. I've never seen a similar design for where the windshield meets the roofline. It's like they forgot to design a piece of weather-stripping across the top. Between my other issue, the wind whistle and the amazingly slow MFT software, I regret this purchase.

I think Ford released this vehicle before it was ready for mass production

I have the same wind whistle issue. After going through other problems with my dealer, I hate the thought of taking it back to them. On the other hand I hate the thought of an upcoming 700 mile drive listening to the whistle. I've never seen a similar design for where the windshield meets the roofline. It's like they forgot to design a piece of weather-stripping across the top. Between my other issue, the wind whistle and the amazingly slow MFT software, I regret this purchase.

I think Ford released this vehicle before it was ready for mass production

The new EX is starting out almost as bad as the 6.0 SuperDuty's.

I have the same wind whistle issue. After going through other problems with my dealer, I hate the thought of taking it back to them. On the other hand I hate the thought of an upcoming 700 mile drive listening to the whistle...
jkintn,
I just wanted to say that I can re-escalate this for you so the Customer Service Manager for your region will call you. Please let me know via PM if you’re interested in me doing that for you.

The new EX is starting out almost as bad as the 6.0 SuperDuty's.
Rollingrock,
I see that you were contacted yesterday in reference to your issues. I will continue to use every tool I have to make this process as smooth as possible.

Cory

Back