Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Window and door lock problems!!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 96fordexplorer*, January 28, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. 96fordexplorer*

96fordexplorer* New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Ford Explorer
    I recently bought a 1996 Ford Explorer and my 2 front windows won't go up or down. If I use the window switches they make noise like they're trying to work but they just won't move up or down. The other problem I have is only the driver side door lock wont go up or down when I lock or unlock the doors with the switches. all other door locks work. However, if I use the key it opens it. What are the steps to figure out what my problem is?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    Take the door panel off and see if the window regulator is moving or you only hear sounds from the motor. If the regulator broke you may need a new one but if it's just the motor gears there are plastic pucks inside that can shear off. Dorman makes a "help" kit with replacement pucks, I think Autozone among others might sell it.

Locks, look for broken linkage or springs. Compare the driver's side to the working passenger's side.

Last edited: February 5, 2018
  4. Spudhut

Spudhut US Navy Submariner Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Bentonville, AR
    1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
    Callsign:
    KG5SPB
    Just like @J_C said, I had the same issue; window motors spin, but the glass isnt moving. There was a clicking sound coming from the door panel....Good indicator the regulators are shot - time for new ones or hit up your local JY.

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    There are little bean/pill shaped things inside the driven gear. What happens is they wear out and then the motor can spin w/out moving the window. You used to be able to buy replacement beans in the HELP section of most auto parts stores, but as they're a Dorman product the quality is questionable. Dorman 747-409 gear and beans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: February 5, 2018
  6. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
    The door lock switches not working is probably a broken wire in the wire bundle "accordion" between the door and the car body.

We Support Our Troops!