1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

window problem when it's cold

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by gensic11, December 15, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

i noticed that even when it's sort of warm out my window takes an unusually long time to go down the first 6 inches or so and then after that it shoots down like its not a problem.... and when i want it to go back up it never has a problem, it goes all the way back up easily. now when its real cold out, it literally will stop sometimes within the first 6 inches.. it takes forever to go down and sometimes it just wont go down at all.. but it seems as if it will go back up without a problem for the most part.. sometimes it takes a few clicks when it's down all the way to get it to move again (in the cold).. anyway i really dont think its a lack of power, since it goes up fine generally 100%.. its just on the way down it sticks real bad and i was wondering if that thread with the people who replaced those plastic lookin things with the ball bearings fixed the problem of it not going down smoothly.... or do i have a different problem? - i have a 1997 XLT and it only happens with the drivers/passenger front windows, not the rear.. they're both fine

any info would help thanks a lot!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

4. gabuelhaj

gabuelhaj New Member

City, State:
      ca
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 explorer
    5. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      I've noticed it too on my 96 - i'm a smoker and ALways have the at least the drivers window(s) down - it shoots right up. I remember reading on here about the window regulator being the problem. A few times it seemed to overheat the motor to the point that it didn't go up right away (of course it was raining at the time). I haven't taken the initiative to look into it further, but i'm sure when it's finally stops working i will!

6. Brandon1993Sport

Brandon1993Sport Active Member

City, State:
      Corpus Christi, Tx
      '93 Sport
      While the window is down, spray some wd-40 or other lube in the sides of the door where the window goes (where the felt material is). It smells bad but it helps a lot.

7. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      IS that your "palm on window" advice talking? ;)

I've thought about that but keeping the windows clean would be a b!tch.

8. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
      silicone can be used instead of wd40 with very little mess - but likely your long term problem though is worn regulator bushings and/or a weakened motor.