Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

window started slipping

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Texas97x, July 14, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Texas97x

Texas97x Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 XLT 4x4, 95 XLT
      Ok, so the driver's door window motor started making a noise like it was slipping when the auto down reached the bottom. I hit up to stop it and then the window would slip going all the way up. I managed to get the window closed but now it will not go down. Is this a loose window motor or is there a plastic gear that has worn out? Really want to have an idea before i open it p and pull off the inside door liner.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. crunchie_frog

crunchie_frog Active Member

City, State:
      Johnson City, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
      Sounds to me like the plastic bushings in the motor are gone/broken. There are plastic bushing inside that will break either with time or too much force and there is no fix other than pulling and replacing the motor or there are some repair kits that you can get the new plastic bushings and gears and repair. I have done both and he repair kits are cheaper if you don't have access to a junk yard, even then, the junk yard ones are bad some percent of the time as well.

You might could get the window to go down by pressing down with both hands with the motor going down, but of course then, you will want to get it back up.