Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

window stuck down

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by stew17, August 3, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. stew17

stew17 New Member

City, State:
      Bel Air, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Alright this is my first post. My 1993 Explorer 4-door front passenger window has been working fine, one day it made a grinding noise going down and would not go back up. These are power windows, there is no noise coming from the window motor when the switch is pushed, and all the other windows work fine. Since there is no noise coming from the motor, does that mean the motor is the problem? Also My Chilton manual doesn't show any instruction on the window motor itself. Any info would be great thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. something9000

something9000 Active Member

City, State:
      naples fl
      1994 navajo
      if it made a grinding noise before it stopped yeah its probably the motor but it could be the window somehow got off track and the motor wedged the glass and got it stuck when you last lowered the window. The first thing i would do is take the door panel apart and see what things look like inside there. Also The haynes manual doesnt really have motor instructions just for the regulator.

4. ranger-93

ranger-93 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, GA
      93 ranger, 01 f-350
      take the door panel off and get a rod or pipe just something with a lil weight behind it. give the motor a good tap WHILE holding the button to raise the window. if this works you need to replace the motor. i did this for a month or two cuz the motor was random on working and finally got tired of whacking the door panel with my hand or if that didnt work id take panel off and tap motor and finally just replaced the motor.....now my drivers side is going out lol

5. Mudboy

Mudboy Active Member

City, State:
      Bellmawr NJ
      91 ex
      As everyone else has stated, pull panel off. see if you can get the window to go up by hand at all. Inspect everything look for the obvious. get a test light and look to see if you are getting power to the motor when the switch is pressed.

6. stew17

stew17 New Member

City, State:
      Bel Air, MD
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Ok thanks, now to take out the window motor does the window glass and regulator have to come out as well?

7. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
    8. johnsonhalo

johnsonhalo New Member

City, State:
      hell hole arizona
      92 Explorer Sport 4X4
      i'm new here too, and you might want to make sure it is actually the motor before you spring to replace them. i replaced both my passenger and driver motors because both windows had gotten stuck down. this worked for maybe a month and now both windows are stuck down again. replacing the motors is not too terrible so long as you leave the regulator in though. from what i've read this is pretty common and i guess usually it has to do with wiring?

9. stew17

stew17 New Member

City, State:
      Bel Air, MD
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Thanks to everybody who replied to this post, I ended up needing a new window motor.