Windows down with the remote? (Global Open) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows down with the remote? (Global Open)

Hi Petre, you could make that work as you want it to, but it would add more current to the wiring during the event. I love the idea of pushing one button to do that kind of thing. The commercials are cool to watch too. But window motors take a bit of juice to run, and Fords all run from the same single power wire. So it takes four time the current to run four down together. That's not good for the wiring long term, they get brittle and break easily eventually.

I'd like to see some "geek" who develops the modules to do these things, make it run them one at a time. I have a module I bought to retrofit to my old 91 2dr Lincoln, to make it do the two windows and the sunroof. I haven't been in a hurry to do it, thinking of the current, and how not hard it is to do them myself.
Mine's a lease Don. Anyway I don't use the feature much at all. My MKT had the Open and Close on all 4 windows and I think I only used it a couple times. I don't know why the Manual states that the moonroof will vent at the same time. Most misprints in the Manual are because they carried info over from previous years but the 2016 never had the Global Opening feature. Thanks for the reply.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, and occasionally there have been features or options for other models we discover here, years later. The members here have dug up information like videos and pictures which show options that never existed, or colors that never were made etc. The videos are some of the most interesting, showing odd things etc, that didn't make it in production.

Hi Petre, you could make that work as you want it to, but it would add more current to the wiring during the event. I love the idea of pushing one button to do that kind of thing. The commercials are cool to watch too. But window motors take a bit of juice to run, and Fords all run from the same single power wire. So it takes four time the current to run four down together. That's not good for the wiring long term, they get brittle and break easily eventually.

I'd like to see some "geek" who develops the modules to do these things, make it run them one at a time. I have a module I bought to retrofit to my old 91 2dr Lincoln, to make it do the two windows and the sunroof. I haven't been in a hurry to do it, thinking of the current, and how not hard it is to do them myself.

For the non door module cars the single wire is just a pulse width modulated signal wire. No current is being carried. On my 2013 Explorer each front motor has it's own power feed (current carrying wire) from individual fuses (30A). WIres are 12 gauge (max 41 amps). The rears have one 12 gauge wire off another 30 amp fuse.

On the door module cars (CAN BUS), all it does is send digital communication to to the door modules to operate the motors. All separate wires.

Go VOLS

Hey I'm a UT grad and I see the guy is from Knoxville.....gotta do it.

LOL!! Now if you had said "Buckeyes", I could have agreed with you..

For the non door module cars the single wire is just a pulse width modulated signal wire. No current is being carried. On my 2013 Explorer each front motor has it's own power feed (current carrying wire) from individual fuses (30A). WIres are 12 gauge (max 41 amps). The rears have one 12 gauge wire off another 30 amp fuse.

On the door module cars (CAN BUS), all it does is send digital communication to to the door modules to operate the motors. All separate wires.

Go VOLS

That's excellent, I'm glad to hear it. I wish I knew that Ford was doing that before.

I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make two master control switches function with each other, in my 99 work truck. I finally got it worked out and wired, it took eight relays, two per door. If I had thought ahead some more, I might have added an extra wire to each of the three non-LF doors. But I rarely have pushed two buttons at the same time, so it's no problem.

Thanks for the update about the newer Fords. Night,

Okay, I forgot, Go Vols, and not "The" Ohio State. Where's the tongue out emoji?

Now that I have a 2017 Platinum I have tried the global down feature twice and the moonroof did not open (vent) in either case.

Petre
I also have the 2017 Platinum and Global open works only on the two front windows, the moonroof did not open (vent) for me either. It's clearly listed as a feature in the manual. I'll have the Ford service tech look into it when I go in for my plates and let you know what they say about the moonroof venting. I'm also going to ask them to enable Global close of the windows if it's an option in the programming for 2017 models.

Ok here is about all the information of have on Global Open/Close for 2011-2017.

2011-2015 Explorers:
All 2011-2015 Explorers with one touch up/down (front driver/passenger) have smart motors. The motors have a microprocessor to detect the one touch button press of the switch and know how to roll the window up and down and when to stop. It appears the motors have the pin (pin 6) for the global open/close signal but they aren't programmed to allow the function (currently working on this). They also have a wire there from the motor through the door harness to the door connector, but no mating wire on the passenger harness.

BCM for 2011-2015 is the generator for the GO/GC signal. There is an unused pin (25) on connector C2280C labeled as PULSE TRAIN FET. The BCM can be programmed to generate the signals. (JMR061 helped me out with that one).

Instrument cluster has the capability of displaying the settings for remote windows (jmr061 helped again).

Moonroof can be wired to the BCM signal and will slide the shade back to open the first panel and vent the roof using unlock. Closing hasn't been confirmed.

2016-2017 Explorers:
XLT, Sport, and Limited cars without "Programmable Driver Seat" option have the same smart motors as the 2011-2015.

Ones with Programmable Driver Seat options have non-smart motors (doesn't contain microprocessor) controlled by the driver's door module and passenger door module. These modules get the global open/close signal via CAN bus from I would assume the BCM?

The BCM doesn't have a pulse signal output pin from what I've seen in the wiring manual.

Moonroof motor appears to be the same as the 2011-2015 model. The moon roof doesn't have a CAN transceiver so it requires a pulse signal for the global open. Since the BCM doesn't appear to have a pin to output this pulse signal, I think the moonroof venting isn't possible.

BCM pulse signal from my 2013 (sorry don't have Oscilloscope):

Remote Windows Menu programmed on my 2013:

Moonroof venting on my 2013 when lock button is held down.

sheltonfilms,

I have a 2014 explorer XLT that I would like to do the Global windows (no sunroof on my Explorer). Can you share what you have done so far (or PM)? I am a radio tech that works with Public Safety (LE,EMS,and Fire) so I have no issues getting in and wiring stuff up. I just started playing around with FORScan, and don't mind being a parallel tester on a different MY. I have access to radio testing hardware (Radio service Analyzer), so I could capture some of the RF remote behaviors if needed. Just as a thought, with the front windows being auto open/close (on my Explorer) wouldn't the BCM/TPMS just need to send a CAN message to both the DDM and the PDM to tell it to open/close the windows? Have you Logged what is being sent over the CAN to see what messages are being sent when you do the global open to get your sunroof open? Just got my Explorer last Friday, so I am very new on what can be done or not.

Thanks

sheltonfilms,

I have a 2014 explorer XLT that I would like to do the Global windows (no sunroof on my Explorer). Can you share what you have done so far (or PM)? I am a radio tech that works with Public Safety (LE,EMS,and Fire) so I have no issues getting in and wiring stuff up. I just started playing around with FORScan, and don't mind being a parallel tester on a different MY. I have access to radio testing hardware (Radio service Analyzer), so I could capture some of the RF remote behaviors if needed. Just as a thought, with the front windows being auto open/close (on my Explorer) wouldn't the BCM/TPMS just need to send a CAN message to both the DDM and the PDM to tell it to open/close the windows? Have you Logged what is being sent over the CAN to see what messages are being sent when you do the global open to get your sunroof open? Just got my Explorer last Friday, so I am very new on what can be done or not.

Thanks

Ford didn't add DDM and PDM until 2016. The 2011-2015 have front window motors with integrated processors. The can messages between the TPMS/RFA/BCM should be the same before and after turning on the global open/close function.

The BCM needs programming to enable a signal on a pin. This pin pulses to ground what ever is attached to it. So the signal is a digital non-CAN based single wire signal. Kinda like LIN BUS. Wish I had an O-Scope to record it.

Also the Moonroof module isn't on the CAN BUS.

Here are some diagrams for better understanding:

2014 Explorer Power windows:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069215

2014 Explorer Moonroof:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069216

2014 Lincoln MKT w Global Open/Close:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1003289

You will need to procure terminals for the BCM connector, door connectors, and Moonroof interconnect connector.
I got the BCM terminal and sunroof terminal from a 2012 Focus Instrument Cluster connector. The door connector is the same as a 2012 Focus dash harness to engine bay harness interconnect.

Welcome to the Forum CJS574.:wave:
Good luck with your project.

Peter

Found out today that the door motors for the 2011-2015 are made by Brose and the moonroof is by Inalfa.

Also there is a software level listing on the labels for the door motors and guess what the software is different on an Explorer and an MKT.

Ok, Thanks for the drawings! The comment about the DDM and PDM still might apply, previous vehicle enhancements taught this (2004 Jeep). Way cool to start, flash lights, and make the jeep look haunted by using a verizon elipse7 data enabled tablet in the Jeep by sending it commands from a smart phone!
see link https://theksmith.com/software/hack-vehicle-bus-cheap-easy-part-2/

I was able to go a little farther then theksmith did, I figured out how to unlock, lock, roll up and down individual windows as well as the steering wheel controls just by send the correct CAN message to the correct module via the OBD2 port. So, if an androiod or windows device was wired into the vehicle, it could be sent commands to perform the desired actions without hacking into the wiring looms. i.e. when the door swtich is depressed a message is sent to the BCM to open/close a window. If that was injected into the CAN bus? I could be way out in left field, as I am only now getting into the explorer. (traded my dad the jeep for the 2001 explorer, as the AC is busted on it and it aint worth fixing. So i got two explorers on the same weekend!)

Just got Remote start enabled and tested tonight!!!!

I will get the wire looms from our local U-pull-it yard this weekend if it isn't to crazy hot around here. Can you pass on the ABD setting for the IPC to enable the Global windows menu items?

Thanks again!

OK, after looking at the drawings, I see that the switches are not control commands, but an actual switch to the controls on the motor1 :(

getting into the hack-a-day mode.............

To start off with, i am playing catch up here since you have been working on this for some time. I have not done any testing, so please feel free to shoot me down if I am going down a rabbit hole not worth going.

O-scope possibilities, I am not affiliated with these, just thought it might work in tight spaces better than full desk version ( and much cheaper!) I might have found a reason to purchase one now.
DSO v3 nano - https://www.seeedstudio.com/DSO-Nano-v3-p-1358.html
OR
DSO Quad - https://www.seeedstudio.com/DSO-Quad-Aluminium-Alloy-Silver-p-1033.html

If we see that the pulse off the BCM is different (it should be) for open/close off of pin ??? ( i know that you stated it before, but i don't remember it off hand) could we wire it into the open/close pins of the motor I wonder if it would do the same as the switch? have you looked to see if the switches do a pull to V B+? Rabbit hole => stop

Restarting, I think the drawnings that you linked to might be in error for the auto window switches wiring, It shows two ganged DPDT switches, but with only Vbatt+ going to the motor control board for up and down at the same time?? I would think that we would have to wire them up in a manner to reverses the polarity going to the up/down so the up is Vbatt+, and down is ground for window close, while windows open would be up is ground and down is Vbatt+. Unless I am missing the digital logic between the switch and the control board. The moonroof does show a global line, which you have used to open it. So, what happens to the PARK and COM lines off of the moonroof? are they our control lines to the windows?

getting into the hack-a-day mode.............

To start off with, i am playing catch up here since you have been working on this for some time. I have not done any testing, so please feel free to shoot me down if I am going down a rabbit hole not worth going.

O-scope possibilities, I am not affiliated with these, just thought it might work in tight spaces better than full desk version ( and much cheaper!) I might have found a reason to purchase one now.
DSO v3 nano - https://www.seeedstudio.com/DSO-Nano-v3-p-1358.html
OR
DSO Quad - https://www.seeedstudio.com/DSO-Quad-Aluminium-Alloy-Silver-p-1033.html

If we see that the pulse off the BCM is different (it should be) for open/close off of pin ??? ( i know that you stated it before, but i don't remember it off hand) could we wire it into the open/close pins of the motor I wonder if it would do the same as the switch? have you looked to see if the switches do a pull to V B+? Rabbit hole => stop

Restarting, I think the drawnings that you linked to might be in error for the auto window switches wiring, It shows two ganged DPDT switches, but with only Vbatt+ going to the motor control board for up and down at the same time?? I would think that we would have to wire them up in a manner to reverses the polarity going to the up/down so the up is Vbatt+, and down is ground for window close, while windows open would be up is ground and down is Vbatt+. Unless I am missing the digital logic between the switch and the control board. The moonroof does show a global line, which you have used to open it. So, what happens to the PARK and COM lines off of the moonroof? are they our control lines to the windows?

The motor is wired correctly. The built in control board probably has an H-bridge circuit to switch polarity of the motor.

Again, i am doing all of this in my head as I haven't been able to do any physical testing or verification yet.

If the control board has a way to switch polarity, then we wouldn't need two ganged DPDT switches, two ganged SPST switche or a single DPDT switch would work, all momentary of course. Since we are not using any digital signaling from the switch to the motor, I would think that the simple mechanical method of switching polarity would be used. Less development = More profit The control board must have some latching logic in it for the auto setting, simple RC tank to a filp-flop, or a solid state latch circuit, doesn't really matter as we only have two inputs to the motors via the switches. We really need to see if the pluses from the BCM are different for Global open/close. it wouldn't be hard to design a circuit to replicate the switch inputs to the motor controls that could be wired in parallel to the switches.

I still would like to know what happens with the moonroof Park and Com, that might be the "logic" behind the global windows. I don't have a moonroof :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again, i am doing all of this in my head as I haven't been able to do any physical testing or verification yet.

If the control board has a way to switch polarity, then we wouldn't need two ganged DPDT switches, two ganged SPST switche or a single DPDT switch would work, all momentary of course. Since we are not using any digital signaling from the switch to the motor, I would think that the simple mechanical method of switching polarity would be used. Less development = More profit The control board must have some latching logic in it for the auto setting, simple RC tank to a filp-flop, or a solid state latch circuit, doesn't really matter as we only have two inputs to the motors via the switches. We really need to see if the pluses from the BCM are different for Global open/close. it wouldn't be hard to design a circuit to replicate the switch inputs to the motor controls that could be wired in parallel to the switches.

I still would like to know what happens with the moonroof Park and Com, that might be the "logic" behind the global windows. I don't have a moonroof :(

The switch inputs to the motor are disabled when the vehicles is off and the doors are opened.

The switch isn't DPDT ganged switches. It is 4 SPST.

Back