• Register Today It's free!

Windows stopped working

zeedawg

Reaction score
City, State
Albrightsville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sportr
The 4 normal windows have all stopped working. The sunroof and back middle window still work, thankfully. Before these windows stopped working, sometimes the driver controls would work....and sometimes they wouldn't. Sometimes if I'd open and shut the drivers door they'd start working again. I lived with this thru the winter....now that it's getting warm outside, I need to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds like broken wires in the drivers door jam, inside that rubber boot. Based on the other 2 windows working and the sometimes working with door opening/closing. There's a thread on it with more detail, not a hard job but a cramped 1 w/ limited space.

When fixing don't just solder/crimp the original wires together-add slack (more movement & space) and I suggest to solder and not crimp (less bulk & solid connection). And lastly don't pay ford to do it-they will crimp and a yr or 2 later it loses its connection again and then be doing it your self the right or thorough way, at least that was the case for me. And this was how I self taught myself to solder, so not bad

I saw the thread title, and the only thing that came to mind was try CTRL-ALT-DEL,
the previous post is a good suggestion/starting place

thanks for the input. going to check the fuses...tho i don't think that's the problem. Then I'll check that door-jam boot out. I did view the previous posts on this and somebody mentioned they had to replace some master switch which costs about $75. The pictures that were supposed to be with the post are no longer there. All i see is a pic of some Cat with the words pic no longer available. Does anyone know if this master switch is in the door frame. Hoping it's just wire....will see and let u know. thanks for help so far.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Didn't you mention before if you opened the door, at a certain point, the windows would work? Basically when the door was closed the pinched or cut wire(s) was seperated from each other and when open it would make contact and work. This is what happened to me and was my fix. I guess it's possible it's a switch but look into the wires.

Don't just glance either, there is a whole bundle of wires. You will literally have to try and inspect every wire and I would do it twice. I wasn't thorough and ended up opening it again to fine another broken wire after the 1st time.

Back