• Register Today It's free!

Windows with no power

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
I was wondering if there is a way I can roll my windows up without power until I can fix whatever I messed up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take the door panel off, you can access the wire connector directly to the window motor. You can then temporarily "hotwire" the window motor to run the window up. All you need is a long wire from the "+" side of the battery, and another wire for the ground. Unplug the window motor wire and insert the "+" into one side, and the ground on the other. Reverse the wires to make the motor spin the other way. MAKE sure you are NOT inserting your "hotwire" into the vehicle harness wire, It must be the short pigtail coming directly going the window motor. On my 97', this pigtail connection is located at the bottom of the door frame behind the door panel, very easy to get to when the door panel is removed.

The wires going directly to each window motors are a yellow wire and a red wire. 12V and ground connected one way will make the window go UP or DOWN, connected the other way will make the window go in the opposite direction. As said, do not apply power or ground to the trucks wiring harness side of the plug or bad things will happen.

I know there is a fuse for the power windows located in the power distribution box located under the hood. Other common window problems include broken wires in the driver's door jam wire bundle and the master window switch. All 4 windows receive power and ground through the driver's master window switch. There are also relays and GEM module issues which could be your problem. I'd start my testing for power and ground wires (key ON or ACC position) at the master switch. If you're missing either power or ground there nothing's going to work, start looking elsewhere. There are no easy answers when it comes to electrical problems, just lots of diagnosis.

Thanks guys! Well the whole thing started yesterday my windows and rear dome lights works great until I caged the front dome light lights and all of a sudden the windows wouldn’t roll up or the dome lights from either front or back wouldn’t work I don’t know what’s going on.

Thanks guys! Well the whole thing started yesterday my windows and rear dome lights works great until I caged the front dome light lights and all of a sudden the windows wouldn’t roll up or the dome lights from either front or back wouldn’t work I don’t know what’s going on.

That is more than likely a simple blown fuse.

Thank you! I hope it is

Back