Solved - Windscreen Washer Pump Kaput | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Windscreen Washer Pump Kaput

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

ihpj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK SOHC Explorer
Just before the bad weather hit the windscreen washers no longer work. Thought I'd get round to fiddling/fixing and then the bad weather hit :p

Issue: Press end of stalk, wipers work but no washer fluid. Checked reservoir, enough fluid. Tested rear washer, again wiper works but no juice. Had a listen and can't hear pump whirl...guess pump is kaput.

I had a rummage and can't see any obvious signs of how to get at the pump. Although I did find a connector that I removed (no signs of rust of corrosion evident), sprayed contact cleaner and gave it a whirl - no cigar.

I have had a search of the forum, but I can't seem to find a pictorial guide of how to replace pump - can anyone please point me in the right direction?

I don't want to start yanking and pulling things to do more damage :p

Also if anyone has a spare for beer tokens, then I'd be most appreciative!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I blame Howard for moving away :p I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later...

Before condemming the pump i would put 12v across it direct from the battery and a good earth.
If it is the pump i believe chris is breaking an ex at the mo

Before condemming the pump i would put 12v across it direct from the battery and a good earth.
If it is the pump i believe chris is breaking an ex at the mo

Great idea, but I am clueless with any leccy work and testing. I can replace bits, and check fuses (anyone know which fuse relates to the washer pump?) but thats about it. I don't have the kit (like some sort of handheld tester methinks?) or know-how to do what you suggest :(

Great idea, but I am clueless with any leccy work and testing. I can replace bits, and check fuses (anyone know which fuse relates to the washer pump?) but thats about it. I don't have the kit (like some sort of handheld tester methinks?) or know-how to do what you suggest :(
I would get a couple of lengths of wire with a spade connector on one end of each. Then work out (wiring diagrams) which is pos and which is earth. Then connect the spades to the appropriate connector on the motor. then at the battery touch the relevant wires on the terminals.
If my CD manual worked i would get the wire colours for you but it no worky
:salute:

Just had a look in a pdf of a US handbook and found a fuse (#12 7.5A) for washer pump relay and power window relay. This says to me that the fuse is ok or your windows would not be working. But it also says that one of the relays is for the washer pump!!

As there are two pumps it is unlikely that they both fail at the same time. Much more likely to be a fuse or relay. Just check for any blown fuse in the aux panel. What I have had happen is the water freezes and when you push the button the fuse blows.

Howard hows life in Boston, i am north lincoln fancy green laning one day or anybody else for that matter in the lincolnshire area with a winch to get me out when i get stuck!!

Still sorting things out. That sounds like fun. I'll bring my tow rope.:D

BTW. The washer issue was a blown fuse. #12 7.5 amp. ihpj confirmed by phone. :D

I am very happy to report that in the Explorer Universe, things have returned to normal. It turned out to be a blow (number 12) fuse; tested with a lower rated spare and both washers are working just fine.

I guess I underestimated how much fluid I had mixed (i.e. too weak) and blew the fuse.

Anyhoo, all sorted and a BIG thank you to everyone!

Hi All,

I have had the same problem as above. Yet it is not the fuse? The rear screen wash/wipe works perfectly. I have already replaced the front washer pump, but still no joy. Can anyone ell me where to find the washer pump relays please? I have changed the control arm on the steering column too.

Additional
Okay, now I have found that the pump for the rear is the same as for the front. DOH!!! And it is working on the rear. So not the relay or fuse. Is there anywhere else please folks?

I had the same problem a while back. It was actually dirty contacts in the switch that was at fault. I managed to get it to work by operating the washer part on/off while rapidly turning the wiper part back and forth, I had to do it about 6 times in total before it worked and it has been ok ever since.
I see you have changed the switch but if it was 2nd hand it could have a build up of dust/dirt on it, you could try a can of contact cleaner at the business end but do not use wd40 as it leaves a greasy residue which will collect dust very quickly
For ref;
Interior Fuse Panel, No 12 fuse, 7.5amp, rear wiper/washer switch + front washer relay
Auxiliary Relay Box No2, (Location; Engine bay, offside low down towards radiator) Washer relay should be the small relay closest to the bodywork
Both washers are operated via a control unit which in turn is activated by the relevant switch

I had the same problem a while back. It was actually dirty contacts in the switch that was at fault. I managed to get it to work by operating the washer part on/off while rapidly turning the wiper part back and forth, I had to do it about 6 times in total before it worked and it has been ok ever since.
I see you have changed the switch but if it was 2nd hand it could have a build up of dust/dirt on it, you could try a can of contact cleaner at the business end but do not use wd40 as it leaves a greasy residue which will collect dust very quickly
For ref;
Interior Fuse Panel, No 12 fuse, 7.5amp, rear wiper/washer switch + front washer relay
Auxiliary Relay Box No2, (Location; Engine bay, offside low down towards radiator) Washer relay should be the small relay closest to the bodywork
Both washers are operated via a control unit which in turn is activated by the relevant switch[/QUOTE

Many, many thanks Dezufo! I knew that there would be some one wiser, and more knowledgeable, out there. I will attack the connections asap. There is some fanatastic info on this forum. Keep up all the good work folks.

@dezufo could you please share more about how you fixed the switch, and which switch you're talking about? Do you mean the stalk?

(I have a 97 Limited 4x4. The washer does nothing. The wipers work. Pushing in on the washer butto on the stalk does not start the wipers...)

Yes, the stalk. If pushing does not operate the washer and the wipers then the contacts are dirty and/or broken.
Keep pushing on and off while rapidly turning the wiper part of the stalk.
Check the pump works by connecting directly to the battery also check the relays

Back