Windshield Cracked / Replacement

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
Hey guys,

Have the 2013 explorer limited with rain sense. Today I got a nasty bruise on the windshield and was wondering if I needed to replace it would I need a special shield? Or just a regular shield.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

Have the 2013 explorer limited with rain sense. Today I got a nasty bruise on the windshield and was wondering if I needed to replace it would I need a special shield? Or just a regular shield.

Thanks
Ford uses a 'SoundScreen' windshield. I believe that is marked on it on the lower driver's side. It is a noise reducing glass. Other than that I don't think there is anything 'special' about it. You can check with any auto glass dealer and see if they carry that kind of windshield.

Peter

There was another member on here who posted that they had to have Ford replace their windshield (insurance covered it) because there were no aftermarket ones available yet. I would make sure that any windshield you get has that Soundscreen built into it.

In evaluating the quality of our vehicles, our customers often consider cabin noise. Recently, we introduced the SoundScreen windshield to help reduce cabin noise levels and provide a more enjoyable driving experience.

SoundScreen Reduces Cabin Noise

During a road test measuring noise inside a 2008 Focus fitted with the SoundScreen windshield and sound-absorbent material, decibel levels were cut to 67 dB from 70 dB in the previous model (by comparison, 65 dB is the level that people typically speak at when seated around a conference table). With this reduction in road noise, drivers can easily talk to the passenger next to them or on the phone and they won’t have to turn up the stereo all the way.

With the new windshield and other sound-absorbing materials, the 2008 Mercury Mariner is 12 percent quieter on the highway and 20 percent quieter in high-velocity crosswinds than the 2007 model.

Developed by Carlite, the SoundScreen windshield debuted on the 2007 Ford Expedition and the Lincoln MKX and Navigator, and is also standard on the new 2008 Ford Escape and Focus, as well as the new 2008 Mercury Mariner.

A Quieter Windshield

The secret to the SoundScreen windshield is that it is built with a layer of sound-absorbent vinyl sandwiched between two sheets of glass.

This special acoustic vinyl layer helps soften noise levels inside the vehicle by as much as 6 dB in the frequency range where wind noise is most annoying and by 2 to 3 dB overall. And the special polyvinyl butyral (PVB) layer also helps cut the vibration noise stemming from the vehicle’s engine compartment.

Added Advantages

In addition to a quieter passenger cabin, the use of an acoustic windshield also offers the potential of weight savings.

For example, by using the new windshield material, the weight of a Navigator windshield could be trimmed by about seven pounds by using thinner glass. The acoustic glass can also be used for side and back windows and moonroofs, adding to more weight savings.

Vehicles with Acoustic Windshields

For the 2008 model year, Ford Escape, Ford Expedition, Ford Focus, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln Navigator and Mercury Mariner are equipped with an acoustic windshield.

For the 2009 model year, Ford Flex, Ford F-150 Platinum Edition and Lincoln MKS are slated to include acoustic windshields. More Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles will get the windshield in 2010.

About Carlite

Carlite is a business unit of Automotive Components Holdings, established by Ford in 2005 to ensure the flow of quality components and systems to the automaker.

http://corporate.ford.com/our-company/investors/investor-news-detail/392-acoustic-windshield

Safelite and Abra Auto glass both have after market windshields available. I opted for an OEM windshield due to previous experience with after market glass performance. Safelite used their special install tool and replaced all of the side molding with brand new ones. Apparently reinstalling the original molding is not always successful.

One issue is the rear view mirror may start to vibrate after they remove it to replace the glass. It's a exceptionally poorly riveted design by Ford that necessitate an entirely new mirror assembly. Thankfully Safelite is aware of this problem and will replace the mirror without any hassle.

Thanks very much...appreciate all the feedback. Apparently I have a crazy ex that I don't know about...lol

Windshield Replacement

Took a big hit on the freeway the other night. ~4" spider crack in the upper corner on the passenger side. Have previously dealt with all the A-pillar issues, and have been quiet for two years. May live with the crack for a while (out of field of view for now) and save the $500 deductible. Any experience in getting a replacement without stirring up the other issues?

Had to replace the windshield on a four month old 2013 XLT during the summer. Safelite provided a genuine Ford windshield and installed without issues. We've had driving rain storms and serious cold weather in the west and the installation has been solid.
Hope this helps.

Took a big hit on the freeway the other night. ~4" spider crack in the upper corner on the passenger side. Have previously dealt with all the A-pillar issues, and have been quiet for two years. May live with the crack for a while (out of field of view for now) and save the $500 deductible. Any experience in getting a replacement without stirring up the other issues?

Which insurance company is it ? They classify objects in the road differently depending on whether or not they "touched" the road. I.E. if I was following a truck and a object came out of the truck bed and hit my vehicle before it touched the ground I would be covered under my comprehensive coverage at no deductible. Once it "touches" the ground then it is covered under collision. Same way with hail damage since it never touched the ground first (complete coverage, no deductible).

Hey guys just a heads up when you replace the windshield. The rear view mirror has to be be re-attached by the glass guys and many don't have the Ford OEM tool that crimps the connector back on properly so the mirror shakes and vibrates.

I had my 2011 Limited replaced and the mirror was always shaking until I was at the dealer in AZ and a tech brought out a big crimper and snapped the rearview tight.

I went back to explain to glass guys but they had no clue.

As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Be sure to read the post by Sgt1411 about the rearview mirror. Good luck and let us know how things went with the repair. Thanks,

Peter

Which insurance company is it ? They classify objects in the road differently depending on whether or not they "touched" the road. I.E. if I was following a truck and a object came out of the truck bed and hit my vehicle before it touched the ground I would be covered under my comprehensive coverage at no deductible. Once it "touches" the ground then it is covered under collision. Same way with hail damage since it never touched the ground first (complete coverage, no deductible).

I think you have it backwards.. if it is road debris, it is comprehensive. If it comes from a vehicle direct, it is collision.

I just went through this last week, rocks were on the ground and getting kicked up by vehicles, scratched my hood, bumper and right front fender. I have a $250 deductible on collision and $0 deductible on comprehensive.. I got 100% for the incident (no deductible) because it was road debris being kicked up. Not considered a collision incident.

Glass breakage has always been comprehensive at least in my past experiences (3 windshield replacements) so I've never had to pay anything because of the $0 deductible I carry. I carry it specifically due to glass breakage.

Just to clarify, mine was hit - I don't know how (another discussion) anyway I told all state that something flew off a truck and bruised my windshield. They said no problem - its whats called "no-fault" and absolutely of no cost to me Allstate arranged Safelite to repair and replace the Apillar as well.

Thanks for all the input, especially the mirror mount. Good USAA insurance but with the deductible set higher to keep the regular bill down. Talked to a place that might try the "repair" vs replace. Location is where there is no sight line impact. Will have to take it in for evaluation. Couldn't say what the trajectory was. Lesson learned though, get the plate number, even if you don't flag them down.

Thanks for all the input, especially the mirror mount. Good USAA insurance but with the deductible set higher to keep the regular bill down. Talked to a place that might try the "repair" vs replace. Location is where there is no sight line impact. Will have to take it in for evaluation. Couldn't say what the trajectory was. Lesson learned though, get the plate number, even if you don't flag them down.

I can tell you that even getting a plate number, if you don't pull them over right then and there, it will be a "He said, she said" after the fact. It is next to impossible to prove THAT particular car did it when it comes to glass cracking/breakage. In that case, most of the time your insurance company will just pay it out.

That was the case with my most recent one. Rocks falling from a dump truck onto the highway and getting kicked up. They asked if I flagged them down, I said no because I didn't realize the damage until I parked and got out. He had said no point in a plate then because they will just say they didn't do it. Next time I'll call the cops and follow the person if it were to happen again. Not right for my insurance to pay when it was caused by someone else.

You should really talk to your insurance company about lowering your comprehensive. I bet you will find it is only a few dollars more a month. It is the collision that is the costly part of your insurance.

It is the collision that is the costly part of your insurance.

That depends on where you live. My comprehensive coverage costs more than collision because there is a greater risk of hitting a deer (comprehensive) than a another vehicle (collision). I'm headed to Safelite on Thursday to see if rock damage to my windshield can be repaired. With $100 deductible, the cost of a replacement would be about the same as a repair, but I would prefer to avoid the extra hassle.

Windshield Replacement

New glass went in Thursday. Used the national service of Safelite. They have a big facility by my home. I did not want mobile service. Job took all of 2 hours. Most of the time, 2 guys working on it. Looks great.

Paid $393.56. Original quote was $458.51. But, when I found other local places charging less, Safelite reduced their price. Not the lowest ($340ish) but I felt most comfortable with SL.

cracked windshield

Ive had USAA insurance for 40 years and they refused to replace my windshield with an original Ford because the car was more than 2 years old. Not happy! Safelight used a Pilkington windshield that also has a layer of sound quieting insulation. They have a little circle with an ear to designate sound absorbing in the passengers corner. They also replaced the 2 plastic pillars. Just completed past Friday.

I have a 16 Explorer Limited in ruby red and it is a huge step up comparing with all our previous vehicles. My daughter likes it very much and she calls it big apple. She never named our other vehicles before.

This morning I used remote start function because outside was about 2° or 36°F. Once I got into the vehicle then I switched climate control to Max Defrost manually. 30 seconds later I noticed there was something new at bottom of the windshield. Soon I realized it was a crack and it was growing. By the time I switched to auto AC the crack grew to about 10” from 4” where I first noticed it. It is at almost center of the driver side wiper.

Searched forum and seems I might be the first one to have this issue on 16. Bad luck I guess.

Will be calling dealership this morning and I hope it is covered by warranty. This is the first quality issue has to be corrected on my Explorer. Also the first time for me to have a cracked windshield.

Unless they can prove a rock hit it, you better bet they would be covering it. I have not heard of this on any of the other 2016 explorers either, so I hope this is not an issue across the board and is an isolated incident. Please let us know what the dealer does for ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had it happen to my 2015 F350 as well.. I'm not claiming it is a defect or a Ford issue but I noticed a crack about 10" long and don't recall ever hearing anything ever hit it. Didn't even attempt to deal with warranty because I carry $0 deductible on comprehensive so it doesn't cost me a penny for windshield replacements.

It could have easily been hit (whether you realize it or not) from an object on the road and the change in temperatures is what caused it to manifest into what you see now.

If Ford denies it, make sure the glass company your insurance company goes to orders an OEM windshield. There is sound deadening material in the OEM windshields that I have been told are not in the aftermarket replacements.

Back