Windshield Leak Above Interior Compass... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Leak Above Interior Compass...

themonk3

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Has anyone had this problem before, and if so, how did you seal it properly?

If I pry off the old silicone seal around the window, will it compromise the window fitment?

I don't want to pay someone to fix this relatively simple problem, obviously. This sucks!

Thanks for any and all assistance in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mines the same way and its starting to get bad....if you figure something out let me know please!!

I hate to say it but you should take it to an autoglass shop. The sealant is a urethane that requires both surfaces to be very clean in order for a proper bond and seal to occur. If water has started to leak through there already then the surfaces are dirty and even if you shot some more sealant in there it would probably continue to leak.

I have experienced this before, tried sealing it and it never worked. Unfortunatley this may require removal of the windshield, wich might equal the price of replacing it.

If you have comprehensive glass coverage, drive behind a gravel truck for a while(wink,wink)lol.

Is it rusty where it is leaking, or is it the seal?

If you want a quick fix that can be removed with a little work you can use clear silicone and seal the outside of the frame. You will need to keep it warm for 24 hours or so though.

I had the same problem, the black rubber was cut, so I filled it.

There is no rust or tell tale signs of penetration, but I have an idea where the water is coming in from.

Silicone, I'm told, is not the route I should take to quick-fix this scenario.

Nonetheless, I may just try silicone, or something in the silicone realm to avoid dumping cash on a new windshield.

I really don't want to pull off the trim though.

This sucks.

p.s. - Thanks for the replies everyone!

I agree too that silicone is not the way to go. Silicone can trap moisture and cause rust. The thing is, you have to get any moisture out of where the breach is and that can be almost impossible unless you were to put your ex in a vacuum chamber.

This has just been from my experience. I had a leak from the top of the windshield on a 2001 Winstar he had a couple years back and I tried almost everything to get it to seal. Nothing worked. Ended up hitting the windshield with a hammer.(had glass coverage) Got a new windshield.

They do sell windshield sealant at auto parts stores. Should be in the same aisle as the silicone.

Try to get the area where you think the leak is as dry as you can and allow the sealant to cure at the proper temp and time. Good luck

my insurance will replace a broken windshield with no deductible

Back