windshield washer pump | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windshield washer pump

Has anybody had an issue where their windshield washer fluid all of a sudden stopped working? I'm hitting the button and I hear the motor going but the driver's side squirts NOTHING and the passenger side squirts out just a pinch to only cover the bottom 1/4 of the windshield. At first I thought it was frozen from the cold weather but it's been much warmer and still I'm having the same issue. It doesn't appear to be dirty from anything. Is it worth sticking a toothpick in the hole to "clear it out" or is it time for Ford Service?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.
If the lines and nozzle aren't frozen then perhaps it is the pump that is the problem. Does the rear washer work?

"Search" is your friend.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That definitely is weird with the goop. Not that it would of stopped goop but I remember growing up all my pops cars had little strainers on top of the reservoir tank and even all of my first cars had them somewhere around the 90's or 2000's they stopped putting them in.

Has anybody had an issue where their windshield washer fluid all of a sudden stopped working? I'm hitting the button and I hear the motor going but the driver's side squirts NOTHING and the passenger side squirts out just a pinch to only cover the bottom 1/4 of the windshield. At first I thought it was frozen from the cold weather but it's been much warmer and still I'm having the same issue. It doesn't appear to be dirty from anything. Is it worth sticking a toothpick in the hole to "clear it out" or is it time for Ford Service?

Paperclip not toothpick, if anything. Unless you have metal toothpicks. ;)

Just wanted to report that on my '15 limited, it intermittently does not dispense fluid even though the reservoir is full. This goes away once the car is shut off and cranked back up again. Has this happened to anyone on here?

Questions about the source of your issue

20141223_095628_zpsaf53b8db.jpg

20141223_095740_zpsdf65fe0d.jpg

I've never seen anything like it. It was very slimy, almost felt like silly string? He dumped out all the old fluid and refilled it. It should be good to go. I checked my bottles of washer fluid and they had no mystery goo in them, even poured the one I'd been using through a strainer. Oh well, I'm glad its fixed. Thanks for the support.

Wow I have never seen anything like that before. What brand of washer fluid do you use? I probably would stay away from that in the future. Also do you put any additives in it? Last question: how often does it take you to use a complete reservoir of fluid? Just curious for my own well being.

Just wanted to report that on my '15 limited, it intermittently does not dispense fluid even though the reservoir is full. This goes away once the car is shut off and cranked back up again. Has this happened to anyone on here?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't recall your particular situation being reported before. If it clears up by turning the vehicle ON/OFF I'm guessing it must be an electrical issue involving the washer pump or switch. To my knowledge, those are the only electrical items that are in the system.
Please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. That info can be helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

Hey guys, was looking for a little help here. I wanted to see if anyone has ever had to replace their front washer pump..The fuse list says the pump and wipers are on the same fuse (#4 in engine comp.), and the fuse IS fine.. Pulled it and the wipers went out as expected.. When I hit the button for the wash I don't hear the typical humm from a motor running, so I'm assuming that the pump motor crap the bed, but I don't even know the easiest way to get to it to check it for incoming power..I figured there's gotta be someone on this site that's had this issue before.. Thanks for any input!!

Hey guys, was looking for a little help here. I wanted to see if anyone has ever had to replace their front washer pump..The fuse list says the pump and wipers are on the same fuse (#4 in engine comp.), and the fuse IS fine.. Pulled it and the wipers went out as expected.. When I hit the button for the wash I don't hear the typical humm from a motor running, so I'm assuming that the pump motor crap the bed, but I don't even know the easiest way to get to it to check it for incoming power..I figured there's gotta be someone on this site that's had this issue before.. Thanks for any input!!
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature I found this thread and merged yours with it. There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed here.

Peter

5645333380_f8308d2f26_bP5010078a_2_001.JPG

So, my wife's 2013 Explorer Limited washer fluid stopped spraying out--I can hear the pump running, but nothing comes out, either on the front windshield or the rear window. No freezing temps outside (yet), garage kept. I suspect there is a clogged line--anyone experience this before?

Vince

So, my wife's 2013 Explorer Limited washer fluid stopped spraying out--I can hear the pump running, but nothing comes out, either on the front windshield or the rear window. No freezing temps outside (yet), garage kept. I suspect there is a clogged line--anyone experience this before?

Vince
Welcome to the Forum Vince.:wave:
You didn't mention it but you did check the windshield washer reservoir I'm guessing? How about the hose connections? Do you see fluid leaking anywhere?

Peter

Yep. I should have mentioned that! Topped it off with fluid, and no apparent leaks. Wondering if the line out of the reservoir gets clogged easily?

Yep. I should have mentioned that! Topped it off with fluid, and no apparent leaks. Wondering if the line out of the reservoir gets clogged easily?
That hasn't been a problem so far. Unless dirt found its way into the reservoir it would also seem unlikely, but not impossible. Most issues have been the pump, disconnected hose and plugged nozzle. My guess is that it is a faulty pump if everything else looks good.

Peter

Gonna have to remove the right fender splash shield to figure it out. There are two hoses that connect to the pump (front and rear), so it would be odd for both to be clogged. Most likely the inlet to the pump itself is clogged.

Remove the fender, and remove both hoses (note which one goes where), and then test.

If nothing comes out the pump pull it out and check the inlet for clogs. If its fully of fluid get a pan ready.

Here is the PM reply I received yesterday to this post in the Windshield Washer Pump thread;
"Turns out some kind of small plastic clip under the hood had cracked. Very easy fix. No idea why what was replaced had broke but it was covered under warranty."

Peter

Thanks, guys! I'll start tearing into it shortly, and will let everyone know what I find.

Hey-turned out it was some blue goo clogging up the pump screen. I removed the fender liner, pulled the pump out of the side/bottom of the reservoir, cleaned out the blue goo, flushed with water, put it all back together. Good to go! Thanks for your posts, guys.

Hey-turned out it was some blue goo clogging up the pump screen. I removed the fender liner, pulled the pump out of the side/bottom of the reservoir, cleaned out the blue goo, flushed with water, put it all back together. Good to go! Thanks for your posts, guys.
I moved your thread to this one. Post #27 describes the same thing found in the pump. Unfortunately the pictures posted using Photobucket are now deleted but they did show that blue goo.

Peter

Here you go Peter, hope these work

BK40Kbc.jpg

oF7bprp.jpg

Hi I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with auto wipers the front washer is not working. I replaced the pump and the arm/switch still same result. I have the lines switched so I have something. It's not a clogged line as I can get both to work by switching the lines at the pump.

The only thing I can think of is a faulty pump again.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not quite following this. You say you can get both lines to work by switching them at the pump. If that is the case, doesn't that indicate the pump is working? How about the rear washer? Is that working?

Peter

Back