Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Windshield wipers won't stop

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by MrsCrispie Bacon, March 16, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. MrsCrispie Bacon

MrsCrispie Bacon New Member

City, State:
    houston
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Just picked up my Explorer. They replaced the Rain Sensitive Wiper Processor. The processor is located inside the car, on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

Mrs. Crispie Bacon

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Thank for reporting back. That is the first time that anyone has posted about having that item replaced. Let's hope that was the problem.

Peter

4. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 New Member

City, State:
    Chattanooga, TN
    2010 F150 XLT Scab 4x4
    The rear wiper on my wife's 2013 explorer limited wouldn't turn off last week. I found this thread and youtube videos documenting the problem. It appeared to be the wiper stalk that was usually the problem, so I ordered a new one off of Amazon for $32.15, part #SW7688. I replaced the stalk, and now everything is back to normal. Before the stalk came in, I removed the interior panels from the rear lift gate and unplugged the wiper motor to eliminate the "annoyance" for my wife. Ford is quickly coming down to Chrysler's level of electronic quality.

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Really? This seems to be the first post regarding this particular issue. As for the others in this thread, any sensor or switch can go bad at any time and it can apply to any vehicle. The more that manufacturers begin to install such electronic 'convenience' devices, the more likely it will be that you will see issues like the ones in this thread. FYI, that switch is $23.72 on several sites. Or $39.20 from the dealer.
    Switch Assembly - Ford (SW-7688-) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

6. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 New Member

City, State:
    Chattanooga, TN
    2010 F150 XLT Scab 4x4
    I have owned a 2002 GT Mustang, 2003 Mustang Cobra, 2010 F150, 2013 Explorer, and 2015 Mustang GT. The 2013 explorer and 2015 mustang have had backup cameras that only work from time to time, inverters in consoles that never work, and now the wiper stalk failing. The 2012 Focus had MFT issues that everybody had too. I had no electrical problems from the previous fords. I've never owned a chrysler product that didn't have expected electrical problems. My experience with chrysler is limited, though. I've had two wranglers and worked on wranglers of several other folks. They have issues like power windows stop working and require an ignition cycle to reset. A/C will not turn off unless you ignition cycle in certain scenarios. Lights that will not turn off unless you ignition cycle. The TIPM on a friends chrysler town and country (VW Routan) welded the fuel pump relay closed and kept draining their batteries until he figured it out. My battery on my 2015 wrangler died in a year suddenly. That's a Johnson Controls battery quality issue, but chrysler gave them the business.

7. Keith Barrack

Keith Barrack New Member

City, State:
    Hanover
    2016 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    OBXREBEL
    I have a 2016 XLT and the front wipers wouldn’t turn off. They worked regular and fast speeds, but not intermittent. I replaced the switch, but that didn’t work. I purchased a new wiper motor and am looking for instructions on installing it.

8. Keith N

Keith N Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Midwest
    2011 explorer xlt
    I would think the motor is fine if it works in other speeds. I thought it’s just a dumb motor. Works or doesn’t. I would suspect a bad ground somewhere or possibly the controller.

I had an issue a few years ago where the wipers were always on. It was stuck on some intermittent speed and would not stop. I replaced the switch with a new oem one and have not had a problem since. I have heard others say a bad ground can cause strange things also.

Last edited: April 16, 2019
  9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Keith.:wave:
    Do you have the 'Rain Sensing' feature?

Peter

10. Keith Barrack

Keith Barrack New Member

City, State:
    Hanover
    2016 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    OBXREBEL
    No, just auto on headlights. BTW: Its is an XLT, not an XLY.