1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Winter Modding? Where?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by DannyDynamite, December 16, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DannyDynamite

DannyDynamite Active Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn, New York
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      What I mean by the title is where do u work on ur explorer or whatever during the winter if you dont have a heated garage..Do you just wear tons of layers and deal with it, or do u have some secret spot. Im from Brooklyn and its getting real cold out and I dont have a garage big enough to do any kind of work on except for my bike. So I dont know maybe you guys could share there tips and what not. thanks..

Anthony:afro:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      I work on mine in my garage.. and although I am in Kalifornia.. it does get a little cold. A trick I do it pull the dryer vent tube exhaust off the wall and point it into the garage. They make these buckets you put a little water in and the exhaust shoots down into them trapping the little particles that are bad for breathing in. :D

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i live in northern cali as well... and its never cold enough for me not to work on my truck.. the garge isnt heated, but i just wear a sweatshirt and pants.... and go outside and open up the back door and the garage door for more light... no problems...

5. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      Uh-uh... these guys are from the other side... Brooklyn weather is juuuussst a little colder than what these guys get. Do what I do. Postpone everything until April. :D

If you can't wait that long, you need some extra hands or tools, you know where to find me. ;)

6. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Bundle up...

You can also arrange some tarps and a torpedo heater - been there - done that. Those nifty one-car tent thingies would also work out pretty good - set it up - hang tarps on the sides - and it would heat up enough to work - then take it down when you finish.

The following are just examples - they sell for different prices at different places... we have one - and use it for summer parties, etc., but it would work out for car work in the nasty stuff as well.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=3918&affiliateid=233

http://www.newsales.com/canopy.htm

http://search.ebay.com/torpedo-heat...wordredirectZ1QQsonewuserZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

7. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Monroe, GA
      '93 Sport & '96 XLT
      I work on mine in my driveway and just put on a few layers of clothes. Even though it sucks to be out there freezing, it's worth it to me if my truck is getting something new :D.

8. glfredrick

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Not to diss you, but you can't even begin to imagine the temprature differences between where you are and where he is...

I moved from Wisconsin to Kentucky and I laugh at Kentucky resident's "cold weather antics." They don't have the slightest clue here... and the farther south you get, the worse it gets. I was in Louisiana once, and I actually saw people wearing those blue parkas with the fur around the collars in weather around 50 F! That would be swimming weather up north... Drop the temprature another 70 degrees and then you are getting in the ball park for northern outdoors work in the winter... (-20's F range)

9. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Monroe, GA
      '93 Sport & '96 XLT
      Yeah, I forgot to add that. Here if the temperature is 40 degrees, I'm freezing :D. I'm used to it always being between 70-80 most of the time. I don't think I'd ever be able to live in a northern state.

10. glfredrick

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Nah - It's great! You get to experience lots of things that southerners never get to see or do - like driving your truck across a lake - learning what traction is really all about - going through instead of over - and a bunck of other good stuff...

Check out this thread - I wrote a fun piece there to describe winter wheeling in Wisconsin...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93200

11. odxtoxic

odxtoxic Active Member

City, State:
      Windom, MN
      '00 Merc. Mounty
      well being from minnesota and living through the cold

so far this winter ive driven to school w/o a jacket on, with just a t-shirt and pants.....anything below 20F is where i start putting jackets on....but i just find them to be a hassle...spoken like a true minnesotan of course :)

12. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Morris Plains, NJ
      92 XLT
      Well, here in NJ, if I have to work on it I just suffer! In other words, "tough it out". Dress in layers, (sweater and flannel-lined pants under your coveralls), wear a woolen cap (Navy watch caps are great), wool socks. My garage is too small to work in, but sometimes I can pull the Ex partway into the garage to get a little shelter. Its hard to find gloves that will keep your hands warm and allow you to handle nuts and bolts, but I saw some that had the fingertips cut off. That should be handy.

I have a kerosene heater that I could use to warm up the garage, but these are open-flame devices, so they must be kept far, far away from gasoline liquid or vapor. (Spill a little fuel, the vapor migrates to the heater, and....KABOOM!)

Do not drink alcoholic beverages to keep warm. The alcohol makes you feel warm by diverting blood to your extremities, at the expense of your body core temperature. Drink hot Ovaltine instead (worked for me in Switzerland in an M109).

Bob

13. glfredrick

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      The trick to keep extremities warm is to keep the head warm and the core body warm...

I recently saw a test where they put a man in a -20 room for over 3 hours without gloves - and his fingers stayed at regular body temprature. The only thing he did was to wear a GOOD head covering (most body heat is lost through the scalp) and an electrically heated vest to keep his core temps up. The body has a natural mechanism to deal with extreme cold that most don't know about - it will divert blood from the extremities to the core to preserve warmth there for the internal organs - hence, if the core starts dropping in tempature - the fingers and toes get cold - becsaue their blood supply is starting to drop as the veins constrict.

I have used a vest (goose down is best by far) for yers under my coat in the really cold stuff - and it works wonders - everyone wonders when I hunt or work without gloves as if I am ironman or something...

Oh - and those new Mechanix gloves are great! You can actually work in them once you get used to it.

14. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
      It may never get as cold here as Idaho used to, but there I had a heated garage to work on the mustang. At least we have a garage here for rain protection. Ususally if it is to cold I'll throw some clothes in the dryer also located in the garage and warm it up a little. If that is not enough then I flip a small heater on over by the work bench. At least It gives me a place to thaw my fingers.

It is really not too bad, and winter is when I finally get the opportunity to work on the truck and clean it up, so it's worth a little frostbite.

15. old mechanic

old mechanic Well-Known Member

City, State:
      R.I.
      92 xlt
      I put my truck in the nite before then I just put my electric heater in my 1 car garage and in about 4 hours its bearable.
      Btw: We need gloves, hats and anything else we can find when hunting near the Canadian border. +10 F to -20 F gets cold.

16. Brock94

Brock94 Active Member

City, State:
      Milford, CT
      1994 XLT
      I installed a keyless entry/alarm system recently with the car outside (I have an unheated garage, but didn't use it) I had to keep the door open so I could access the under-dash area, but an electric space heater on the passenger-side floor made a huge difference.

I lived in New Hampshire for a while and I've used a kerosene "torpedo heater" at an appropriate distance aimed under the car-- just keeping the metal a little warmer makes things a lot easier on your fingers.

If you're not dealing with gasoline, you could use one of those infra-red propane heaters aimed at the work area.

Just be especially careful touching cold metal with bare hands-- it sucks the heat right out of your fingers. I was in the mountains in NH once, at -25F and had to untie the ropes holding my snowmobile to the trailer. I put my bare hand on the metal for no more than 10 seconds as I untied a knot. When I got inside, I realized my fingertips were frozen. No permanent harm done, but it wasn't fun having them all turn black and blister off.

Use several pairs of mechanics gloves-- one for dirty work, one for relatively clean and rubber gloves (like my wife uses for dishes) to handle liquids.

17. Brock94

Brock94 Active Member

City, State:
      Milford, CT
      1994 XLT
      Oh-- and for certain engine-compartment work, a warm engine is nice (turned off of course).

18. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      '97 XLT
      electric space heater with ceramic element - no combustible fume issue. and 2 500 watts halogen work lights to add both light and heat. Work on car in garage while 10 degrees outside - no prob.

Next problem - the next step up in my lift and tires won't let me fit in the garage. That'll suck.

Anybody made a quick-disconnect for a Surco roof rack?

19. ExplorerSportNu

ExplorerSportNu Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis - MO
      95 Sport/ExpeditionPkg
      I got the same damn prob with my yakima rack, won't fit in the garage and I'm to big of a puss to go out in 20 degree weather to work on my x and I got tons of goodies coming too, if only I had higher garages :confused:

20. Texplorer

Texplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Morgantown, WV
      96 XLT 4x4 4.0
      If I was still there you could use my underground garage, oh but Im not so I guess your out of luck. Do the smart thing like I did and leave Brooklyn for TEXAS!!

21. Ford_Racing_Guy

Ford_Racing_Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Spencer, Wisconsin
      '92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
      lucky me my dad has a garage out at our land in the country,

thats where i put my explorer when i had to replace oneside of the axle housing.

its insulated and i used a reddy heater, worked great!

22. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Propane and carhart suit.

Also dont forget, keep the tools inside until you are ready to use them, nothing freezes your hands faster then a ice cold wrench, even if the garage is warm the tools wont be and you cant use glvoes for everything. :)

I am doing a 5.0L conversion this winter, it was 8 degrees up there the other night, I set the propane heater on about an hour before I start, this is a 1400 sq ft barn with cold concrete slab :)

23. snowburns

snowburns Active Member

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      '96 XLT
      Learn to love the cold. That's my suggestion.

24. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv

That is my number 2 priority in my next home.
      #1 is a big back yard!!!!

25. EMG7895

EMG7895 Well-Known Member

'91 xlt, 93
      I go to my friends house. Hes got an oversized 3 car heated garage, and it's on waterfront property :D

26. rfuree11

rfuree11 Official Bikini Inspector

City, State:
      Boston
      07 WRX Limited
      my cutoff for regular work is 25-30 degrees, if i have to, i just really bundle up as i have no real place to do my work besides my driveway