• Register Today It's free!

Winter Resistant Battery

pzy3339

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
Hey folks, looking for opinions on batteries that don't diminish as badly in the cold.

Mine is performing poorly at low temps this year so I am going to replace it before it leaves me stranded. Also my air bag light is on during those cold mornings, which I hear is from low voltage.

Point is I am investigating what battery to buy.

Right now I am leaning towards an optima red top. Anyone have one? Does it perform well in the cold? It gets down to 0*F here.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't have to deal with long periods of severe cold but I had a Costco battery (johnson controls) in my E150 work van that lasted 11 years before I parked it in the driveway and left the headlights on for three days.

I didn't realize I had left the headlights on until I installed the new battery. All of a sudden I could feel heat on my hip. I looked down and the headlights were on. If I had known that, I probably would have tried to charge the battery before turning it in.

I use Motorcraft® Tested Tough® MAX. Good quality versus price ratio. Works great for me in the cold. The original one lasted 5 yrs without pluging in the Ex during the winter.

I only use Motorcraft batteries in all three of my vehicles. Only brand I've used that lasts well beyond their warranty date. I've tried the Die-Hards, parts store brands, discount retailers like Walmart and Interstate brand.

Yea stay away from red or yellow top battery. They are ok for a while but once they drain a little their done, you can try to charge them but they won't hold a charge. I've ran Bosch batteries for years and have had pretty good experience with them. I always get a higher CCA battery then my vehicles call for (usually get the highest CCA in the class size available). On my '03 Sport Trac I run a 850cca Bosch.

I second the costco batteries. When she is -40 up here they fire it right up. The warranty is great too. I haven't had to use it but Im told they don't pro rate so if the battery dies in the warranty period just take it back and they swap you a new one off the shelf.
A buddy told me once it isn't the cold weather that kills a battery, its the hot weather, and then when you hit the cold again you find out its screwed. Not sure how it works though.

I use Motorcraft® Tested Tough® MAX. Good quality versus price ratio. Works great for me in the cold. The original one lasted 5 yrs without pluging in the Ex during the winter.

I only use Motorcraft batteries in all three of my vehicles. Only brand I've used that lasts well beyond their warranty date. I've tried the Die-Hards, parts store brands, discount retailers like Walmart and Interstate brand.

Ditto Striker & D Hook. Motorcraft BXT-65-850 (875CCA) @ $130 is one of the best bargains you will find at your Ford dealer.

Motorcraft® Tested Tough® MAX Batteries
http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Batteries-MotorcraftTestedToughMAXBatteries.aspx

Motorcraft Battery Product Line Battery Specification Chart
http://machenry.com/documents/batteryspecs.pdf

Back