Winter Rims / Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Rims / Wheels

Bbs15

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Can someone tell me if they know if these would work for winter rims and tires on a 2020 ST.
Definitely don’t want to run the stock Black 21”ers.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate any help....

FB59F298-1BAC-4F28-BC39-5DF006B44BEA.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are replacing the OEM 275/45R21 tires, then yes, they have a -2% diameter difference. Over 3% difference is not recommended.
A 235/65R18 will have the same -2 difference. I use the 18" steel Interceptor wheels in place of my OEM 20" wheels for Winter. I'm only guessing the bolt pattern is the same.
Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter

Has anyone actually fitted an 18" PIU rim on an ST with the bigger brake caliper?

Has anyone actually fitted an 18" PIU rim on an ST with the bigger brake caliper?

Not yet but they fit. The PIU has essentially the same brakes at the Track Pack. I believe the previous gen used a 245 series tire but the 2020 is calling for a 255 series. Regardless, 10mm isnt going to make a difference on the same rim IMO.

Seems like I need to buy a set

Not yet but they fit. The PUI has essentially the same brakes at the Track Pack. I believe the previous gen used a 245 series tire but the 2020 is calling for a 255 series. Regardless, 10mm isnt going to make a difference on the same rim IMO.

My dealer is insisting a 20 inch rim is the smallest that will fit on the ST, even though I mentioned the brakes are essentially the same between the PIU and ST. If someone out there has fit the 18 inch PIU rim with a winter tire I'd love to know the tire specs and PIU part number :)

Winter is approaching quickly and I really don't want to buy 20 inch winter rims/tires. Going to run close to $3k in Canada. Eek!

My dealer is insisting a 20 inch rim is the smallest that will fit on the ST, even though I mentioned the brakes are essentially the same between the PIU and ST. If someone out there has fit the 18 inch PIU rim with a winter tire I'd love to know the tire specs and PIU part number :)

Winter is approaching quickly and I really don't want to buy 20 inch winter rims/tires. Going to run close to $3k in Canada. Eek!

Dealer told me the PIU wheels are 417 a piece. Sheesh

So brakes are the same BUT the PIU rim wont fit when the 2020 PIU comes with 18s? Lol.. good dealer.

ya, I tried to get that point across to them. I’m going to try a different dealer.

I'm trying to get the official part # under a 2020 PIU VIN.

The 11-19s used a 18 x 8 rim, the 2020 xlt uses a 18 x 8 rim.. pretty sure the 2020 PIU uses a 18 x 8 rim... dont see how it would not fit.

I'm waiting for black Friday to order winter tires.. should be some good deals then.

ya, I tried to get that point across to them. I’m going to try a different dealer.
If you plan on using the 'caps' on those wheels you may have to get different lugnuts like did. Police Interceptor Wheels & Sport
BTW, the I paid $88/wheel back in 2014. I just hope I can use them on the 2020/21 Explorer if I get one.

Peter.

If you plan on using the 'caps' on those wheels you may have to get different lugnuts like did. Police Interceptor Wheels & Sport
BTW, the I paid $88/wheel back in 2014. I just hope I can use them on the 2020/21 Explorer if I get one.

Peter.

I noticed several aftermarket versions that look identical. Being only for winter, was debating on saving some money by going that route but I wonder how easily the cheaper ones will rust.

I noticed several aftermarket versions that look identical. Being only for winter, was debating on saving some money by going that route but I wonder how easily the cheaper ones will rust.
Mine are just starting to show some minor signs of rust but then I don't come close to your kind of mileage either.

Peter

Ok so the 2020 PIU rim is indeed a different part number. Part # for the 18" PIU rim is LB5Z1015B which retails for the $417 mentioned above but about $271 online (shipping will probably eat the savings unless local dealer would match.

Ford Wheel Assembly LB5Z-1015-B | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Now the questions, what's different between the 2 besides $130 more for the 2020 version.

Ok so the 2020 PIU rim is indeed a different part number. Part # for the 18" PIU rim is LB5Z1015B which retails for the $417 mentioned above but about $271 online (shipping will probably eat the savings unless local dealer would match.

Ford Wheel Assembly LB5Z-1015-B | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Now the questions, what's different between the 2 besides $130 more for the 2020 version.
I ran that wheel number on the Ford Parts site for a 2020 Ford Police Interceptor Utility and it came back and said it does not fit your vehicle.:dunno:
Wheel | FordUS

Peter

I ran that wheel number on the Ford Parts site for a 2020 Ford Police Interceptor Utility and it came back and said it does not fit your vehicle.:dunno:
Wheel | FordUS

Peter

That part number was verified by a 2020 PIU VIN number. That is the number for the 2020s. It was also confirmed the 255-65-18 is the correct size which is different then the 11-19s. But I believe they are both 18 x 8" so either tire will fit on either rim. And when you go to tirerack, they list 18" options for wheel/tire combos for the 2020 ST with street package.

I bet the offset or backspacing is different

I like these KMC rims from tirerack. 18x8, 38mm offset. going with 255-65-18 as above. $208 each. the tirerack website says they have no tpms sensors for us but tech support says there are at $27 each.

E7FBA629-AAC1-4BC9-A846-025CD46254E6.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like these KMC rims from tirerack. 18x8, 38mm offset. going with 255-65-18 as above. for aome reason $208 each. the tirerack website says they have no tpms sensors for us but tech support says there are at $27 each.

View attachment 174229

I was looking at RWC rims yesterday (had them on my Honda) as they make direct fit hub centric rims for various models. For the ST with Street Pack they do have an 18x8 that should fit with an ET33 offset.

Back